G: Gearbox (Twin) Le Crunch

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When my C Twin warms up after a run I have a great deal of trouble finding neutral when I stop and with the motor still running. This usually means cutting the engine and finding neutral that way. When I start up again (hot) and try and select first, it crunches significantly into gear. I’m not experiencing any clutch drag, there is slack in the cable, about 1/4” at the handlebar lever. The handlebar lever stops slightly short of the handlebar when pulled in, which doesn’t seem right to me. I’ve checked the other end of the clutch cable, inside the kickstart cover and the clutch lever (G91) touches the clutch cable abutment (G91) when the handlebar lever is pulled in, hence the lever stopping shot of the handlebar. I believe the bike has a multi-plate clutch from about 2009 although I don’t know what make. Can anyone please offer any advice? Thank you.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Adjust the screw in the k/s cover to pull the lever further out and give you more travel. In general multiplate clutches require more travel than the original clutch. work the adjuster to give you the max travel at the handle bar. What handlebar clutch lever do you have, they come in 7/8 in between centre of the pivot bolt and centre of the cable nipple, and also 1 1/8. obviously the latter gives more cable travel.

My experience, even tho' you say no drag is that the 99% most common reason for a crunch and hard to select neutral is clutch drag. pull the clutch cover off and watch it? Is it dry or suppose d to run wet and is dry?

Some investigating required.

Bring it over and I'll have a look, unfortunately you will still require to quarantine for a while :)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I use alloy dog leg levers with 1. 1/4" from pivot to cable,
Cheap from Netley Auto Jumble.
Have you the modified lever in the outer case for multi plate clutches ?.
As Robert said , You don't want the cable hitting the stop before the lever is right in,
Or you will pull the nipple Off, Painful !!

nigsey

VOC Member
Adjust the screw in the k/s cover to pull the lever further out and give you more travel. In general multiplate clutches require more travel than the original clutch. work the adjuster to give you the max travel at the handle bar. What handlebar clutch lever do you have, they come in 7/8 in between centre of the pivot bolt and centre of the cable nipple, and also 1 1/8. obviously the latter gives more cable travel.

My experience, even tho' you say no drag is that the 99% most common reason for a crunch and hard to select neutral is clutch drag. pull the clutch cover off and watch it? Is it dry or suppose d to run wet and is dry?

Some investigating required.

Bring it over and I'll have a look, unfortunately you will still require to quarantine for a while :)
Many thanks for your prompt reply. Clutch lever measures 1 1/8. I have now adjusted the screw and the clutch lever and I now have maximum travel at the handlebar. Will run it tomorrow and report back. I am running a wet clutch, or at least there was oil in it when I bought the bike, so that’s how I’ve continued. It only came into my position last November from a deceased estate, I know little about it’s running history.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When you pull up, If the clutch is a bit grumpy, Lean down and put it in Neutral with the gear indicator.
Also get the rev's low, Better for putting it in gear.

kerry

VOC Member
There is a modified part from the spares company for these clutches, comes with instructions, gives more travel It replaces the existing screw in the gearbox outer cover.

nigsey

VOC Member
There is a modified part from the spares company for these clutches, comes with instructions, gives more travel It replaces the existing screw in the gearbox outer cover.
Oooh, that sounds interesting Kerry, thanks very much for that, I shall look into it.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Make sure the cable abutment in the G50 plate is not poking too far into the cover, that`s the limit stop.

nigsey

VOC Member
Make sure the cable abutment in the G50 plate is not poking too far into the cover, that`s the limit stop.
clevtrev, I noticed that oddly enough and thought it was poking through rather a lot, even thought about filing some off to make it shorter but thought better of it. However, I’m delighted to report that having followed the advice of Robert Watson, the problem has now been resolved, no crunch and finding neutral is easy. Thank you everyone.