G: Gearbox (Twin) Layshaft bearing problems

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Robert. I knew that you had done this mod and I thought that Dan Smith had also done this. The impression I had, possibly in error, was that several of the Canadian boys had gone down this route. You will certainly know better than me but ever since I heard about it it has seemed to me to be a very worthwhile mod and a good way of rescuing damaged crank cases.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Dan did two engines, actually his brother made the housings, one went in mine and the other in his rapide. As I said the bearing failure had tongues wagging for a while until we located the defective cages (Bower bearings by the way) Dan then changed his back to standard. That was on the bike he rode to the tip of South America......

oilyrag

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok, the new C3 bearing arrived and it fitted easily.The cases cooled and I tested the feel of the bearing. The shaft slides OK and the gearbox works fine, but I'm not happy with the bearing. It has tight spots.
I have bearing number 3 on the way. New old stock from a friend.
I'm wondering whether to take 1/2 thou off the bearing before fitting. What do you think?
This was supposed to be a quick and simple job!

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello oilyrag,
Please try to clean the bearing as good as you possibly can with brake cleaner. Really blast the stuff with the nozzle through the bearing and try turning it at the same time.
Let it dry out, maybe with the help of an airgun.
Then give the bearing just a few drops of clean oil and try again.
I found out numerous times that what you describe was nothing than a slightest piece of dirt, maybe just a single sand corn that was the problem.
I won't say it is not possible, but tight spots on a brand new bearing with new housing and a good round shaft sounds unlikely to me,unless the bore in the housing was out of tolerance.
I would try the cleaning first cause everytime you remove and fit a bearing you are opening up the bore in the cases a few microns by polishing the surface and compression g the alloy.
Bernd

oilyrag

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Update.
Bearing number 3 arrived, another C3, new, old stock. I made a jig and oil stoned 1/2 thou off the outside.
It went in fine and turns well enough for me. No tight spots. Now to reassemble the rest.
Thanks for the advice, people. Test run on the road soon possible, as long as they don't chuck any salt around.