Lathe Help

powella

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Myford ML7 with OUTSIDE jaws. The old girl with big stuff.5x3inch and 3x17inch ally.
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0532.JPG
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG

wmg73141

Non-VOC Member
Myford went to the wall several years ago, they were of nice quality but a rather light lathe much loved by model engineers. There are still many out there and spares are readily available.
Of a similar size is the Southbend, (my one occupies a 42" x 28" of floor space), and its cousin the Boxford. I favour the Southbend Model 'A' with its quick change threads/feeds gearbox and plain bearing headstock. The slightly heavier construction and three "V" bed make it a little stiffer than the Myford. Go for an Imperial machine, it is easier to "go metric" with a bit of cog swapping than vice versa. A 100/127 change wheels is desirable if you can find one and I can provide a change wheel chart for metric threads if you need one. With the lowest back gear engaged speed is positively glacial.

powella

Non-VOC Member
Great! Where and how much?
Hi

Swansea , South Wales U.K.( not the Australian one ! )

I will send more pics for you because this Lathe has been fitted with a Quick Change Gearbox , sometimes called a Norton Quick Change for us old school. This box was purchased direct from Myford`s in Nottingham just before they closed the doors .Cost was £ 900 I think , have the paperwork somewhere.

M L 7`s go for about £ 750 without the box . Look on E Bay to see what they are going for .

Keep in touch

Regards Alan Powell 01792234598.

powella

Non-VOC Member
More Photos `s .take your time in deciding on a lathe - especially this side of Christmas !
Keep in touch , the lathe and I are going nowhere for the next few years ( at least ).
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Another lathe question. Found that most new manual lathes can't make 26 tpi threads. Any idea on a suitable lathe for that?

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The 26tpi trouble comes when you have a metric leadscrew. For most of the new lathes on the market you can specify metric or imperial leadscrew.

Of course, that also means that you get imperial dials but a digital readout is so cheap it doesn't matter.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think you want a proper job, But I thought this was clever.
I have just altered a cheap X Y table, Which I am going to bolt up to a Wood Lathe, I found this youtube after I had done it, Only for basic stuff , Just a bit of Fun. Cheers Bill.