• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Lathe Electronic Rev Counter

brian gains

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
OK , so not thought this one through completely but having had a lathe adapted to single phase motor with VFC module I'm having testing time getting to grips with running at desirable defined rev's.

Q: could I fit a motorcycle electronic rev' counter and sensor to better ascertain cutting speed, or have I overlooked a howling flaw in my reasoning.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Brian,
A much easier way would be to find an optical tacho, as used by modellers to measure prop speed.
I have one from my old racing days and it's very accurate.
Looking on Google shows them to be as cheap as £15

Neil

Last edited:

Sakura

VOC Member
Check out the model engineering forums. You can buy a cheap electronic tachometer, not a rev counter, from China for peanuts. Just a matter of fixing magnet and pickup.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You can also use a cheap cycle speedometer. I've done this on my Boxford lathe. If you put a search in Google for "cycle speedo for lathe tachometer" you will get lots of results. They have their own battery so you don't have to hook up a power supply. An example at the link below:-

Cycle Speedo Lathe Tacho Example

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
That's great thanks. I posted years ago about the idea of using a cycle speedo as a rev counter, this is perfect!
Cheers
Bill

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?