Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
must be a different plasticoat from mine no shine at all
I got it from screw fix "High heat" part no 70807 0001
is that the wrong stuff?

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Wrong stuff. You need the Engine Paint It comes in gloss and semi-gloss. The stuff you got is for exhaust systems and non of those are available in gloss finish.

John Mead

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
I use Plasti-kote 'super gloss' or 'super enamel' on most things these days. Stands up to engine heat (in my experience) and I've also used it on my model traction engine chimney without a problem. Paul.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hi Bill, it used to be available from Homebase, B&Q, Focus etc, but these days I google Plasti-kote and see what's on offer. One thing to be aware of when using Plasti-kote on things that get hot, is that for the first heat cycle the paint will soften, but once it has been 'baked' on it remains hard. On small items, including cylinder heads, I put them in our domestic oven for an hour or so at about 100ºC. Cheers, Paul.

minivin

VOC Member
I must admit I have always had an aversion to painting, I just ain't any good at it!. But I must say the Plasti-Kote satin black has given very good results on the Rotax engines I have had in my ex-British Army motorcycles. What was your experience Paul of getting the spray to get within the fins of such items as the head and barrels?

bob southall

Forum User
VOC Member
Advice requested on Paint System for Shadow Engine

Can anyone provide advice on what paint system and process to use on the Crankcase and covers of my Shadow Engine. I am assuming an acid etch primer is required but does this have to be a high temperature version? Also is there a primer filler that is suitable to allow some smoothing of the castings that will survive the temperatures? Thanks for any input you can provide

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Please add new posts on the engine paint topic to this thread to try to keep relevant comments in one place. Thank you.

Last edited: