latest on engine paint?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well a spare C15 engine cover has been painted with just aerosol hammerite smooth black for a week now and tomorrow I shall start immersing it in the stuff that passes for petrol nowadays

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
You guys will barf, but I had the cases on my Vincent Special powdercoated. I did it in satin black and the powdercoater did an outstanding job on masking and applying the powder. No problems with either road or aviation petrol.

John Mead

craig

VOC Member
When using aerosol spray paint with temperature resistance, say 500 degF, don't you need to heat the item you have painted to actually activate the ceramic portion of the solids................until then the fresh paint is susceptible to ruin by any liquid like gasoline, cleaning fluids, oil, grease and the like? That has been my experience with Plastikote engine paint on 2 stroke engines, spilling gasoline prior to start. However after the first heat cycle, and it doesn't take much, the aerosol engine paint is cured and resistant to fluids/solvents.

vibrac

VOC Member
just in time I was busy yesterday a heat cycle is what the cover will get prior to testing...

vibrac

VOC Member
No you can forget Hammerite smooth 2 hours of petrol and its lifting
perhaps you think thats too tough a test
funny thing is on the old Comet racer I painted the tank with Hammerite and then gave it a coat of polyurathane varnish and it stood up to a season of methanol spills without a blemish but thats for a hard working racer dont want that finnish on an engine.
I will try another suggestion

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hmm, Hammerite smooth has lasted on my carbs for about 14 years.........maybe the paint contained some 'real' constituents in those days! I've seen some 'petrol resistant lacquer' in Halfords......just a thought.

Howard

VOC Member
Hmm, Hammerite smooth has lasted on my carbs for about 14 years.........maybe the paint contained some 'real' constituents in those days! I've seen some 'petrol resistant lacquer' in Halfords......just a thought.

Google the problems with the Halfords stuff!!!

It never seems to harden properly, and you can't overspray or touch it up outside a very restricted time frame. Yes, ok, so I'm an Engineer and didn't read the instructions, so I left the first coat overnight before flatting it down and applying a second coat, but after I stripped the petrol tank down to bare metal and started again (even the slightest trace of a previous coat causes bubbling) it still wasn't satisfactory.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
Tried plasticoat hi heat
does the job just the stuff for racers exhausts and alloy brake plates obviously the right stuff look ok with petrol ....but
its a dull finnish no good for authentic engines or show boats

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hi Kevin, Nothing technical, I just hadn't discovered Plasti-kote when I did the crankcases! Also I didn't really want to make bungs for all the holes so brush painting with Humbrol served the purpose. The secret to keeping it looking "awesome" is simply cleaning it when it gets dirty. :rolleyes: (Must do that after a wettish ride home from the Annual on Monday) Cheers, Paul.