Latest Forum Software v2.2.0: Updated Rich Text Editor

G

Graham Smith

One thing that was a pet hate of mine with the previous editor was the way that editor controls frequently wrapped into multiple rows on devices with small screens.

This seemed like a nonsense to me, as those working with small, usually mobile devices, are those most unlikely to actually want to use the full features of the editor - people who want a deep editing experience will usually want to do so with a decent sized display and a proper keyboard rather than squinting at a six inch display and pecking at an on-screen keyboard.

The previous editor allowed us to define different button layouts for different screen sizes, but this could only go so far to improve the user experience and had the result that small devices could either show a nasty wrapped toolbar, or miss out on controls entirely.

2 narrow width.png

With the latest version of our software, the concept of different button layouts for different display sizes still exists, though it's tweaked the resolution boundaries to better fit today's devices, but a more important change is the new concept of button groups.

Controls are now be assigned to one of four groups. Each group has a number of controls attached, and can independently define the number of buttons visible before a 'more' gadget is shown.

Clicking the 'more' gadget unfurls a secondary toolbar underneath the main controls, in which the remaining controls from the group are contained.
2 more text.png

2 more para.png

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK Graham. I thought that I would try to help the cause by trying to download the app. Although I am a computer user I am not a computer professional and that can be a major impediment. I thought it likely that if I could do it then there was a very good chance that anyone else could do it. I tried to install the app on a Huawei Android phone with a 5.7" screen and, as far as I know, the latest version of Android. The first stumbling block was how to find the app. I don't expect to find it on Play Store yet. I tried typing in to Chrome the text line in your screen dump and it could not be found. If it is too early just let me know or, alternatively, point me in the right direction and I will try again. Not pushing, just trying to act as a test rat .

G

Graham Smith

OK Graham. I thought that I would try to help the cause by trying to download the app. Although I am a computer user I am not a computer professional and that can be a major impediment. I thought it likely that if I could do it then there was a very good chance that anyone else could do it. I tried to install the app on a Huawei Android phone with a 5.7" screen and, as far as I know, the latest version of Android. The first stumbling block was how to find the app. I don't expect to find it on Play Store yet. I tried typing in to Chrome the text line in your screen dump and it could not be found. If it is too early just let me know or, alternatively, point me in the right direction and I will try again. Not pushing, just trying to act as a test rat .

OK, Norman, first and foremost, I don't have an Android device so will only be able to offer you limited help here, but two experienced Android users of the forum have tested this for me, and have confirmed that it works as expected.

You shouldn't be looking on the Android Play Store, as if you read the first post, this Progressive Web App does away with the necessity of having to download an app.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Must admit when I reply on my phone if I am in the garage,
I miss doing dots and commas etc, Not easy to see the stuff for me.
I have seen that to do a smile on the computer, I have to click on the last set of dots,
All a bit too much for me.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
These four screen shots are what I get depending on which set of 3 little vertical dots I click on.
One: screen upon opening reply.
Two: screen when clicking left hand dots.
Three: screen when clicking center dots.
Four: screen when clicking right hand dots.
Screenshot_20201015-064408_Edge (1).jpg
Screenshot_20201015-063815_Edge.jpg
Screenshot_20201015-063839_Edge.jpg
Screenshot_20201015-063900_Edge.jpg

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ok, It is clear that my ignorance outweighs your knowledge, I have tried typing in the string on your first posting on this phone, both with and without the greyed out part. I am clearly not mistyping as I get to another screen but nothing like what is shown. Clicking the three dots does not help. I have checked to see if there are any overdue updates on the phone and it tells me that I am up to date. I know that does not guarantee that I have the very latest version. When out of the UK I find that I can get to the forum via Chrome easily so this is not critical but as you have put the effort in it would be nice to get it working. Perhaps one of the people with Android could do an 'Idiots guide to installing this'.. Words of not more than two or three syllables if possible please.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
If you open the VOC forum on your device there should be 3 horizontal bars at left hand end of the tool bar. Click on this. Scroll down to the last item on the drop down menu and click on download app. Should work.