Last ride for the season?

Jorgen Rutegard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One hour ago I had a short ,perhaps last for this season, ride on the Twin. It is late autumn here in the north of Sweden, the sun is low but glowing, and the colours of the trees are almost overwhelming.
Listening to the engine and feeling the power of the old machine is a great experience.
Looking forward to April next year, when the snow has left the main roads and it is time for new rides....

john998

VOC Member
Last ride for the season.

Hello Jorgen,
A fine description, of the time of year. Here in Scotland autumn is not so advanced, but soon the first salt will be down.
Although I bought my Rapide 44 years ago as transport, I will not subject it to that any more.
Roll on spring! John.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Supposed to be in the low 70's F in the Columbia River Gorge today. If I put a sweater on I might still manage some more riding before November when it's definitely Jacket Time!
:D:D:D:D Cheers, John

lindie

Non-VOC Member
snow is a big determining factor on my riding as well. it means i'm in europe and the bike is at home. dunno how you lot cope with cabin fever for half a bloody year. it's gotta get torrential here for me to take the car or have to slow down substantially and half the time that level of rain just means i can "forget" to wash the bike a bit longer.

i'm hoping the english chick in my stable isn't scared of water. did britain have sunlight?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Its supposed to be +7 here on saturday...hopefully I can get my clutch fixed and squeeze in a last ride..then pull the battery out and prepare the beast for 7 - 8 months of Winnipeg winter..one of these days I am going to spend winter in a place where it doesn't hit -55....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
one of these days I am going to spend winter in a place where it doesn't hit -55....

You should have stayed down here in sunny Minnesota. Our record low is a balmy -38 C (avg. -16 C). Of course, that record was set before we were advised that the Earth's temps were going to drop and before we were told that they were going up.

john998

VOC Member
Last ride for season

Hello,
Such a good day, so I though time for another last ride. Just as well, the bike started first kick but the manual advance leaver would not move. The cam ring was corroded into its housing, presumably the last wash plus all the wet rides this summer did the damage. Life could have been difficult if left over the winter.
Soon fixed, and a good ride enjoyed by one and all.
This mag was on the bike when I bought it 44 years ago. It has only been in bits twice, once to do the manual conversion. Just shows that uncle Joe could get it right some times.

Jorgen Rutegard

VOC Member
New last ride...

Well, the weather is still sunny although chilly, -2 C in the morning and icy roads. After the temperature had risen a few degrees above zero in the afternoon I started the Prince for another ride in the surroundings. I had to be careful in places still in shadow, but otherwise the trip was as rewarding as usual.
After a thorough overhaul the old machine works very well, less vibrations, no smoke, good power and the same sound!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
-55 , -38 !!! :eek: Good job we don't get temps like that in the UK , people would go broke trying to heat their homes !!

Roll on getting my Lister CS slow speed diesel generator running on waste motor oil , winter will be almost enjoyable then !!

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
At the beginning of the week the forecast was +8 for today...that forecast was gradually revised...and today it is -2..with a windchill of -10..60% chance of snow for this afternoon..and 2" of snow on the ground from last night...I live in perpetual optimism that it will warm up enough that I can get a short ride in to test the repairs the the clutch as kindly suggested my Glenn Bewley...

Re: -55...its only that cold for a few weeks at night..the rest of the winter it is -30 during the day..and -35/-40 at night..so not that bad really..still, one has to ask the first settlers of the area.." what in the devil were you thinking"?..