large capacity petrol tank

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone fitted or had mad a large capacity petrol tank to a series C for touring, looking for something around 5 gals?

davidd

VOC Member
I hope that you find one. They are not plentiful. The Vincent design does not lend itself to large tanks. The fuel tank is pushed way forward on a Vincent. This means the forks and handlebars must have clearance. The oil cap needs to be taken care of which limits height. The tank can drape over the sides like a Hoske or Heinrich, but unlike a BMW, you cover up most of the useful and beautiful parts of the engine. Finally, the bottom of the Vincent fuel tank was highly engineered to prevent cracking. Many of the racing tanks used a stock tank bottom as a starting point. Almost all the racing tanks were steel not alloy, which I believe says something.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
The only way is out sideways
when looking for a tank to cut about for racing I got a hammerite blue crackle finish 'thing' for £15.00 I striped the paint and found a standard postwar tank with the sides of a pre war 'A' tank (with traces of maroon paint)welded on each side all done very professionally. It was too big for racing but I painted it black and gold, put it on my road bike and lo and behold suddenly the Vinny looked like a Brough Inferior
needless to say I took it off again (its picture is in an old MPH somewhere) and flogged it,later I saw it on a jumbles stall for £700. What do they say about fools and their money...

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Anyone fitted or had mad a large capacity petrol tank to a series C for touring, looking for something around 5 gals?
Go to Red Rapide in Photos. Check out the Touring Rapide with the tan saddle. A club member made me this tank in the early 80s. People rarely notice it is not a standard tank. It is steel. It is about half an inch lower than standard and very slightly wider. Most of the extra capacity is at the saddle end where the line of the tank is more humped. I think it is a nominal 5 gallon.

Hugo

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a large capacity tank for a series B or C, the previous owner of my twin got it unused from Chris Williams.It is one of a batch made many many years ago in fibreglass and looks somewhat like a BSA lightening fibreglass tank.About 5 years ago he decided he would like to fit it but was concerned as it was filled with a sort of alloy wool so he sent it to Phil Primer who removed it all and resealed it but he never got round to using it.I dont think that with modern petrol a fibreglass tank is a good idea but if you are interested there are a couple of pictures of the same tank in Geoff Preece's photographic miscellany
pages 51 and 61.If you're interested let me know.
Chris.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member

Yes, If you are interested in a larg fibre glass tank I can supply you with one made from a speacil resin and lined with a ethanel proof linner. These tanks are the same as Phil Primmer used to make before his until timly death, using his moulds.
stumpy lord

Rob H

VOC Member
Yes interested in seeing pictures, I don't seem to be able to access them on the club site at the moment, but would be grateful if you could email some if you have them to hrd1949@yahoo.co.uk thx

Robert Watson

VOC Member
IMG_3287.jpgI have run a "Paul Adams" sourced alloy tank for about 15 years and probabloy 80,000 + miles