'Lapping in cylinder head(s) to cylinder(s)...on a Series 'B' Rapide..

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm slowly putting a Series 'B' Rapide back together...slowly being the operative word...I've got all the 'good books to help...'but am coming to the stage where I need to fit the 'heads back onto the barrels/cylinders...I'm aware there's not 'gasket between the 'mating surfaces/cylinder head joints.....So...any 'tips on how to get 'em to 'mate nicely would be gratefully received...

PikerHRD

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
do the grind as I am sure you read and clean off and use feeler guages all round the joint

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Vibrac..Thanks for your reply...but I am still a bit 'fox'ed 'cos I can't find a 'specific, more detailed instruction, in The Owners Manual or Dr Bickerstaffe's book (you know the one...) to give h'instructions...I'm looking for spoon feeding here...please...
Thanks again though...
Regards..PikerHRD

vibrac

VOC Member
best description is in the Old Testament (tuning for speed) chapter X verse 'Cylinder head joints'
"And it came to pass that..."

Basically its course grinding paste on main joint and fine on the barrel spigot I look for 3 thou to five thou clearance on main joint if not grind till you get clearance. but its best to read the book.

"So sayeth P E Irving and thus it was so"

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you Vibrac...'me thinks I'll purchase an Old Testament too...and add it to my collection... You can't beat a 'good book for h'instucting..

Thanks again for your wise words

Regards PikerHRD..

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The best way is with the head mounted on a lathe. Draw filing is good too, if you're comfortable doing it. Try for .004 clearance. There are lots of very competent Vincent experts to guide you in Gloucestershire.
Cheers, John

pikerhrd

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Mr 'crest ...and thanks...

If only I had a lathe...(or is it 'a hammer...)

Your right about the experts in Gloucestershire too..

Regards..PikerHRD

vibrac

VOC Member
The best way is with the head mounted on a lathe. Draw filing is good too, if you're comfortable doing it. Try for .004 clearance. There are lots of very competent Vincent experts to guide you in Gloucestershire.
Cheers, John

I do hope you don't mean rotational grinding full rotation I was always told that way lies deep tram lines in the alloy for the same reason that you grind valves 1/4 to third rotation lift and replace further on
on the other hand if you are talking fine skimming with an appropriate lathe tool then if you can set it up accurately its certainly another way.
I always find keeping grinding medium off the liner spigot sides the hardest I do dob a bit of grease close in but I dont think it does a lot but the last thing you want is to do is increase the recess diameter in the head

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
The way I have done it for years is to hold the head upside down in a vice and then rotate (oscillate) the barrel by hand. It works for me.