E: Engine Lapping head into barrel video

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, I do 0.03 mm - as most of the worldwide poulation of 6 or 7 billions do - well except some millions in third world countries like USA or UK stuck in stone age . . . . .

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
Where is a pic of a Vincent head held in a vice hemi up?

I don't seem to have a vice with a large enough opening.
Thanks
Craig
Is your vice wide enough to hold 2 pieces of rod that are a cylinder bolt width apart? You could use cylinder studs if you have any extras that are trash. Slip the cylinder over the two rods set up so they are below the surface of the muff. Add something to protect the bottom of the liner. With some fiddling you can get the barrel so it won’t move. Then rotate the head. It isn’t the ideal way to do it, but it’ll work.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have a piece of hexagon bar with a 14 mm thread turned on the end to that I clamp in the vice If I am working on the cylinder head. Plenty of adjustment.
If you are not working to micron tolerances, a rough rule of thumb is 0.1 mm is 0.004".

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Funnily enough I made the same sort of gadget. Always been very useful. Does anyone else want one ? PM me.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have a piece of hexagon bar with a 14 mm thread turned on the end to that I clamp in the vice If I am working on the cylinder head. Plenty of adjustment.
If you are not working to micron tolerances, a rough rule of thumb is 0.1 mm is 0.004".
I don't think it needs even that much ?.

And for a bar , Just weld anything into an old Spark Plug body ?.

oexing

VOC Member
Old farts in Vincenteering may know better but I cannot see a need for much more than one thou / 0.03 mm gap between head and cylinder liner flange. You just want a tad more load on the flange than on the large face of head. Get that gap much more and don´t be surprised about warped cylinderhead and muff. I prefer to have a wide contact head-muff sitting firmly bolted up , don´t think you get a better seal with three thou but only deformation in components.

Vic