Land Speed Racer Bill Warner

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This past weekend was the annual meet at Loring Air Force Base for the Loring Timing Association. I hold a record there in the 500 Vintage Class which was set at the inaugural event. Big Sid had asked me months ago how to best prepare for this event.

Bill Warner, who has been mentioned in many magazines raced at both Maxton and Loring. I believe that Bill Hoddinott had interviewed him several times. He had been over 300 mph several times, but he died this weekend while attempting another record:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/177914-bill-warner-motorcycle-racer-dies-in-285-mph-crash-in-maine/

David

mercurycrest

VOC Member
That's really sad. Bill Warner was a genuine racer in my mind. At least he went enjoying life and not like so many others from cancer, etc...
John

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
To paraphrase Burt Munro (god bless you) you live more in 5 minutes than most people will in a lifetime. Yes it was a tragedy, but we all know the risks when we send-off our entries weather you go l rsr ,circuit , speedway or scrambling. Just be luck out there folks.Regards, Roy.