LA Times article on motorcycle auction prices

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
From yesterday's Business section. View the article online at the link below. The article featured a nice color picture of the Reg Dearden Lightning (incorrectly called a Black Shadow), which was sold last October, on the front page of the section, with a picture of the White Shadow, which was sold yesterday for $111,150 including the buyer's premium, on an inside page.

The article mentions that Gunga Din will be auctioned in August at Pebble Beach. I heard someone had tracked down many of the key components from Gunga Din after it had been split up. I suppose this bike may be the result of that effort. Does anyone know more to this story?

LA Times article

Last edited:

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
From yesterday's Business section. View the article online at the link below. The article featured a nice color picture of the Reg Dearden Lightning (incorrectly called a Black Shadow), which was sold last October, on the front page of the section, with a picture of the White Shadow, which was sold yesterday for $111,150 including the buyer's premium, on an inside page.

The article mentions that Gunga Din will be auctioned in August at Pebble Beach. I heard someone and tracked down many of the key components from Gunga Din after it had been split up. I suppose this bike may be the result of that effort. Does anyone know more to this story?

LA Times article
It appears a fellow called Keith Hazelton has been collecting the bits for a number of years. I am not sure if Mr. Hazelton is still the owner as there was some correspondence in 2007 regarding its sale. There was a fairly "energetic" discussion on JTAN recently about the fact the owner was seeking a set of replacement "B" cases to replace the "D" cases fitted. Apparently he wanted it to look like the Gunga Din of the late '40s early '50s. There would be some people in USA who know a lot more than me ( & some who think they do) but it appears that the present Gunga Din has a somewhat disjointed provenance. :rolleyes: I would be bold enough (some might say stupid) to say that it is nowhere near as original as the Dearden bike but an individual's attempt to replicate the original, albeit with some original "factory" parts.