Where Are You Now? KXA879

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know where this bike is. Picture was taken circa 1960 near Aldershot. Does any one have any other information on this bike? Previous owners on the buff log book were John Oliver Pearce of 3 Montrose Walk, Weybridge Surrey, registered April 30 1952 and next owner was Anthony Etherington of "Endevor" Binscombe lane, Godlaming Surrey, registered 21 January 1956. The buff log book is a replacement so I have no information before 1952.
IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I know where this bike is. Picture was taken circa 1960 near Aldershot. Does any one have any other information on this bike? Previous owners on the buff log book were John Oliver Pearce of 3 Montrose Walk, Weybridge Surrey, registered April 30 1952 and next owner was Anthony Etherington of "Endevor" Binscombe lane, Godlaming Surrey, registered 21 January 1956. The buff log book is a replacement so I have no information before 1952. View attachment 24838
As you have access to the logbook, what is the 1st date of registration as that is missing from the machine Registrar database. The date will be towards the bottom of the middle panel of the logbook.Thats the same panel as the engine and frame details.
Thanks
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Simon. 13 July 1949. Also the bike was sold by Jack Surtees in London. The replacement buff log book was issued on first of May 1952, but the first owner's name shows up as being registered April 30 , 1952.
Thanks for the registration date which is a day after it left the factory so fits perfect. Another hole filled.

As for previous owners, your Father is in the 1959 VOC yearbook against the bike but I had nothing else before that until now.
Simon

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Actually it was owned by my uncle. It also has a bit of a nefarious acquisition. According to papers I found, a chap purchased this bike did not pay for it and sold it to my uncle. Of course the purchase hire went after the bike and my uncle went after the man he bought it from. If you want to add all this information I can scan the letters etc. and send them on.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sounds interesting so yes please to the letters etc. My email address is in MPH under machine registrar, or you can send them via a private conversation on this website. I wouldn't post them in this thread though as its public access.

Simon

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Hi, Simon. There are about 50 documents that concern the purchase of KXA 879 by my uncle. It is probably best to scan the lot and send by mail to you. I think I may also have some origional Aldershot ephemera dating from 1960 which I can send for the archivest at the same time. Cheers.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
One option is you can scan the documents and then put them in a folder on your computer and then use:
https://wetransfer.com/
I have used wetransfer before. Its free up to 2GB and you don't need to register. You just upload to the website and enter the email address who its going to. The recepient gets an email with a unique link and they (and only they) then download the file / documents. After 7 days wetransfer delete the documents.
Simon