KVFTT Magneto

Johnny Lagdon

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a Lucas KVF TT magneto fitted to my Egli type twin, and the gold paint is worn/flaked off in a couple of patches. As the body is Electron I believe and can disintegrate on prolonged exposure to air, I want to remedy the situation without removing it from the bike. Any recommendations as to what paint to use and any surface preperation required?
Thanks!

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Plan for a good cleaning and painting when it comes off. I would scrape and clean with a small stiff brush and clean with thinner. I would check it a while later because you can often see little dots of oil exuding from tiny spots. Clean again and check.

You can buy a can of Zinc Chromate primer. Spray some into a cup and use a paint brush to apply. The thinnest coat is usually acceptable. Apply the gold paint over it. I did this on my Albion gear box years ago with black paint instead.

It would not be unusual to find that the paint is releasing from the body due to small blooms of corrosion emanating from the magnesium itself. I know the Elektron of the 1950's could be full of impurities and would corrode from the inside, but it could look like surface corrosion because that is where it ends up.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I was told that the gold paint on the AJS 7R magnesium crank cases was from the manufacturer of cast iron radiators because back in the 40s that was the only heat resistant paint. Sounds right nobody would have thought up a marketing wheeze like that deliberately.

davidd

VOC Member

Magnetoman

VOC Member
to toxic acording to the nanny state.
According to Wikipedia:

Toxicity
Recent studies have shown that not only is zinc chromate highly toxic, it is also a carcinogen.[13] Exposure to zinc chromate can cause tissue ulceration and cancer.[1][3] A study published in the British Journal of Industrial Medicine showed a significant correlation between the use of zinc chromate and lead chromate in factories and the number of cases in lung cancer experienced by the workers.

Personally, I'm grateful for the nanny state because otherwise nothing would stop a product like this from being sold. Without the nanny state dry cleaners still would be dying from the benzine, consumers would be exposed to mercury and other heavy metals, and thalidomide would have been prescribed to women in the U.S.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Try an avaition workshop or supply post. As zinc chromate primers are used for aluminum prep in aircraft fabrication and repair.

Greg b for oz might know as he was in the avaition game.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Gene, Yes there are products available here in Aussie, but I would remove the mag and do it properly, who's to say it isn't corroded in area's you can't see, and with a mag of that rarity, it is worth doing. Send it to me and I'll do it for you. Not a big deal or expense really. Cheers..............Greg.

clevtrev

VOC Member
According to Wikipedia:

Toxicity
Recent studies have shown that not only is zinc chromate highly toxic, it is also a carcinogen.[13] Exposure to zinc chromate can cause tissue ulceration and cancer.[1][3] A study published in the British Journal of Industrial Medicine showed a significant correlation between the use of zinc chromate and lead chromate in factories and the number of cases in lung cancer experienced by the workers.

Personally, I'm grateful for the nanny state because otherwise nothing would stop a product like this from being sold. Without the nanny state dry cleaners still would be dying from the benzine, consumers would be exposed to mercury and other heavy metals, and thalidomide would have been prescribed to women in the U.S.
Geez, and I`ve only been using it for the last 63 years. It`s all about how you drink it, neat or with a mixer.
The biggest danger is when you open a pot of crystals, with regard to the cyanide fumes it lets go.
Use this one.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/primer/u-pol-acid-8-etch-primer