Kurt's custom handlebar mounts

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If you look closely at the photo David posted of Kurt's Lightning in the Bonneville thread, you can see that Kurt has custom handlebar mounts to move the bars lower and in front of the forks. Here are some close up shots of the pieces showing the excellent craftmanship.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 105

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Yeah, I was going to jokingly call them FF11/2. BTW, does anyone know what the difference is between FF11 and FF11/1 (which is listed as a Flash only part)?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I haven't had my forks apart in a while, but isn't there a pad bolt that keeps the standard handlebar clamps from rotating? It seems like the John Surtees Lightning has them rotated forward and ace bars somehow fit through the area. Max Lambky built a replica of that bike for Larry Feece, I'll ask him. Probably quicker than finding my copy of the long ago issue of Classic Bike that featured the Surtees bike.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The ex-Marty Dickerson "blue bike" has the stock clamps rotated as well. That places the handlebar in the middle of the forks, and you need to create some crazy bends to snake the bars around to clear the forks. Kurt's setup, besides moving the bars farther forward, and maybe even lower, allows for a simpler bar.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I haven't had my forks apart in a while, but isn't there a pad bolt that keeps the standard handlebar clamps from rotating? It seems like the John Surtees Lightning has them rotated forward and ace bars somehow fit through the area. Max Lambky built a replica of that bike for Larry Feece, I'll ask him. Probably quicker than finding my copy of the long ago issue of Classic Bike that featured the Surtees bike.

I inverted the clamps on my Race Bike too, place the clamps where you want them and simply run a drill through the holes in the clamps to make a new groove for the locating bolt to fit in.
Cheers, John

davidd

VOC Member
Steve,

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I have been on the road. Many of the Flash parts that have special numbers seem to me to be allocated due to cosmetics. All the items that are painted Grey, like the hb clips, outer spring boxes, etc. have unique numbers but are otherwise exactly the same part (unlike the fork blades which are milled and thus deserve a special part number). I am not sure why the red parts did not get a separate part number, but I have the feeling that after Irving left, the part numbers did not receive the same attention as when he was there.

The long stud for the handlebar is FF72/1. The Spares List calls for two FF11/1's and the FF72/1 would only be on one clip, and then only Flashes delivered with tachs.

David