Kurt Schupp's museum

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

can anyone tell me whether Kurt Schupp's museum "Schloss Vincent" is still alive and kicking? If so, does he have any preferences as to when he likes people to visit (I know it's by arrangement only, or at least, used to be).

Also, is there a German rally planned this year and if so, when is it and where?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers

Roy

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
As far as I'm aware Kurt Schupp's museum "Schloss Vincent" still exists, it is a 'private’ collection so to visit you must make contact first.

There is a rally in Germany this year run by the ‘other’ German Section ‘NW Germany’. Details have been in MPH fro a while.

I’m thinking you may not be a member of the VOC. Correct?
Ian

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian,

you're right, I've not been a member of the VOC for something like 20 years now, well maybe not quite that long, but quite a while anyway!

The last Vin (B Rapide) disappeared about 8 years ago to finance unexpected problems in renovating a 250 year old house and I don't think I'm ever likely to be in a position to replace it! :( Rejoining the club under those circumstances would be like rubbing salt in the wounds!

How come there's an "other" German section, nowadays? Where is it based?

Can you let me know when and where the German rally is, this year, or has theft got to be such a problem that it is not desirable for such information to be given on an open forum? The background is that an article is being prepared on one of my old bikes and those concerned have asked if I can recommend any meetings etc. that interested readers might like to visit. If this isn't desirable, no problem, I'll just leave it at the museum details.

Cheers

Roy

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Roy
Sorry to hear you had to part with your Vin, I probably shared a beer with you at "Schloss Vincent" in years past, I went to most of them in the 80’s and 90’s.

VOC Section rallies have, strictly speaking, always been members only events, I know the "Schloss Vincent" events didn’t quite keep to that rule, which may have been part of the reason for it's demise as a rally venue. Sad to say security is a growing issue, as is liability insurance etc so we have to be more careful these days.

I know the organisers of this year’s rally are active on the forum and I will be seeing them this weekend, they may be open to ‘inviting’ an individual such as yourself, but details would not be allowed to be published openly. I don’t think I’m giving anything away by saying it is still in the Hessen region but not at "Schloss Vincent".

The NW German Section is based around the North West as you might have worked out! ie Hamburg and surroundings, there is no HQ as such, meetings are in members homes, ride outs etc.
Ian

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I probably shared a beer with you at "Schloss Vincent" in years past, I went to most of them in the 80’s and 90’s.

Hi Ian,

It was more likely to have been at the Herts & Beds section in the '70s and '80s, my only visit to the German Rally was in 1976 or '77 where the high point was my stuffing Ron Kemp's 500 Egli in a ditch!

I'm not too surprised that publishing the rally details is not desirable, should really have thought of that myself - just an impulse reaction to the request from the publisher.

Cheers

Roy

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I remember that incident. The German Rally that year was at Freiziet Lahntal
on route 49 a few k's outside Wetzlar. All manner of things happened there. The late Ron Law's Twin broke a front cam spindle but a local member, Thomas Bader, had a new one made in double-quick time. On another occasion a certain Italian machine suffered some damage but to spare blushes I'll say no more. I paid a visit to Schloss Vincent last autumn; no-one was at home although I gather Kurt had been unwell. The place seemed completely unchanged since my last visit although the paint was peeling off the Vincent sign over the museum door. There had been some great rallies on that site but as time went on people may have tired of covering the same ground year in, year out. I did it for ten years without a break, I'm glad I went but that was enough.

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Was the Egli-ditch due to fixed footrests?

Yes, that's right! Knowing the way that Ron usually disappeared off into the distance, the idea that I might even try to lean the bike over too far never even occurred to me!

My knees still remind me about it on occassions!

Roy

RMA

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The basic problem was that after I'd been on it for about ten minutes I felt so at home that I forgot I wasn't on my own bike, I guess.