Koni Dampers

D

Deleted member 1085

These instructions, taken from an original sheet, may be of help if unsure of how to adjust a Koni damper.

Fitting
For normal use on the road, the new shock absorbers must be fitted straight from the box (do not alter in any way the original adjustment) with piston rod uppermost. The arrow marked “TOP” on the damper must be in upward position. Pull out the piston rod in this position only.

Fit rubber bushings, nuts etc, as per instruction sheet enclosed with the set of parts; alternatively, in the same sequence as assembled on the attachment pin when received already fitted.

Adjustment
If adjustment of the damping forces is desired or necessary, this can do as follows:
Remove the sock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attachment in a vice. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.

Attention
If there is an identation B in the dust cap C and the cover shows 2 holes A, the shock absorber is fitted with a bump rubber D. If so, fully extend the shock absorber and insert a round bar or screw driver through the holes. Push the bump rubber down and remove it. Remove the split plastic collar E – if fitted – from the piston rod.

Fully close the shock absorber at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (anti–clockwise) until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the unadjusted position or not by keep on it closed and gently turning further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber closed make 2 half turns (360 deg) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.

Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

Attention. Where a bump rubber was installed, refit same inside the dust cap and by fully closing the shock absorber, the rubber will seat again a the top of the dust cap. Refit the split plastic collar E.

The shock absorber can now be refitted.

Adjustment must always be carried out in pairs – thus 2 front and/or 2 rear dampers – and for the same amount.

koni.jpg

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This sheet is identical to the one supplied with every CAR type Koni that I have fitted. (runs into hundreds) every one was too hard from the box! A ruddy nuisance, a Jaguar e-type has 6 per vehichle, the 4 at the rear are coil-overs. It takes around 4 hours to fit the blasted things, and another 4 hoursto take them off, remove the springs+covers, remove the bump stops, compress, "adjust, " put it all back, invariably under complaint. For my money , arrange these words into a well known phrase or saying- Harris, yourse up stickit!

D

Deleted member 1085

Well, I bet you are glad you got that off your chest. Perhaps you would like to post something that would be helpful to those of us who are still using Koni's?

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Something useful about Koni's

Something useful about Koni's : You can still get them repaired. The difference between the front and back is that the seals fitted to the Front's are 'soft' . And the rears are standard seal ie, 'Hard' i had one done last month . And bought a new one 'assembled' in Australia more or less at the same time £80. This might be the last one in captivity. Stick that in your rfm and use it. Russel Kemp used to keep the soft seals . They still stock the hard seals in Holland. People buying Vins today as against those who ride them , seen to prefer the new or rebuilt Vincent dampers , which are cosmetically perfect and dynamically inferior and i am told will leak. the ones from America are outstanding but of course lack the shroud.Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1085

Something useful about Koni's : You can still get them repaired. The difference between the front and back is that the seals fitted to the Front's are 'soft' . And the rears are standard seal ie, 'Hard' i had one done last month . And bought a new one 'assembled' in Australia more or less at the same time £80. This might be the last one in captivity. Stick that in your rfm and use it. Russel Kemp used to keep the soft seals . They still stock the hard seals in Holland. People buying Vins today as against those who ride them , seen to prefer the new or rebuilt Vincent dampers , which are cosmetically perfect and dynamically inferior and i am told will leak. the ones from America are outstanding but of course lack the shroud.Ken

Are they a DIY repair or must they be done at a factory?

Keith

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
I never tried to rebuild one myself, You need to have the correct tool to remove the locking ring at the top and be scrupulously clean when reassembling. If you can get the seals easily you could save quite a bit. Over time the slight loss of oil which lubricates the shaft/seal in use, slowly degrades the action. The people who do service these items like to protect their income , but don't we all, Ken

vibrac

VOC Member

Any addresses for repairers in the UK? or rear seal suppliers?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have had Konis for years and never had a go at adjusting !!, But trying to build another bike has meant a lot of switching about, I only had a Koni left, So that had to go on the front of my "new " Comet, I find it a bit hard. Yesterday I found another Koni !!, Which seems a little softer, So I have just had a go, All the way to the Left is Soft !!, But you guessed it, It was already done, I bet it was that nice Mr Ron Kemp !!, Can't think how many years ago that was. And as I took it out the vise, I saw "F" stamped on the bottom at the front !!. I nearly ordered 2 Avo's !!, That would have broken the Bank !!. Cheers Bill.