kickstart slips

GrantAndrew

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, when kicking my dads egli vincent over the kickstart mechanism sometimes slips and has no resistance like it misses a cog. it only happens sometimes not on every kick. would this be something simple or will it be needing parts?
thanks.

deejay499

VOC Member
There are a number of things that it might be. The kickstart gears, G46 & G 47 could have worn mating teeth ( most likely problem) or bushes. A lot of us put two G48 springs behind the 46 gear, at least I always have.

Good luck with it, Dave

john998

VOC Member
Hello, still limping after trying to start the outfit after 2 years lay up. 45 years of starting Vincent's and I still get caught. Regards John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Evening all, I know not many people agree, But I start my bikes by just dropping the valve lifter, Wherever the flywheels are, I find it's a lot less stress on all the bits and my legs. All the best Bill.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Bill, I use the same method, it works fine on a well set up machine. If it is been difficult as my outfit was, finding the right compression helps. Part of my problem was a sump full of straight 40' oil and a temperature of 5c.
Regards John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, We should know better after all these years !! I got my old l/ning rep going sunday, I have put 28mm carb's on it, Must be getting old !! I locked it up now I can't find the key, Who's a silly old sod. Your place was on the news down south, About how cold it was, Hope spring comes soon for you, Look after your self, Bill.

deejay499

VOC Member
GrantAndrew. The advice on starting by turning the engine and dropping the valve lifter is good. It takes all the strain off the shafts and gears and your leg if it does slip. Been doing it that way since 1962 and I only weigh 11 stone.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Grant's original problem sounds to me as though either the G101 bush is well-worn, allowing G46 to tilt and thus not engage properly, or that a new G48 spring is needed. Or both. If G82, the kickstart ratchet, does not fully engage with G46, then it tilts unless G101 prevents it. I made a bronze G101. The original was oilite, had almost worn through. Francois Grosset told me that he has seen G46's that appear totally wrecked, no single tooth intact, but that still grip perfectly. However if G46 tilts...then it's best if you planned to have no more children anyway. Please do not ask how I came by my knowledge. They say the memory of the intensity of pain fades: they lie.

Robert Watson says he just kicks and drops the lifter. Robert however won't mind me saying (I hope) that he is A BIG CHAP, and I am not. It took me an age to find the right technique for kicking. It turned out to be to find the SECOND compression, DO NOT ease over, lift valve lifter, kick and drop lifter almost simultaneously. Prior to this I'd religiously eased it over both compressions, delivered the traditional LSK, and 9 times out of 10 was rewarded with the deafening silence that attends a Vincent failing to start. Then my knee would begin to give notice to quit. Which is why I now start courtesy of la jambe de grenouille, and merely press the red button. Or le bouton rouge, as you prefer.