Kick starter locking

dagriise@online.no

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As im closing up on finishing my Egli build, (new engine) I now have had the bike "on the floor" to try out the kickstarter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagsinclair/sets/72157629214714916/
It does lock up solid some times, and works others. I know the reason to be the theeth locking agianst each other, rather than meshing. I know about grinding the first thooth etc. BUT as im struggling to make this work, I was wondering if anyone out there has some exact measures to grind by?

Any help apreciated!

Regards Dag
Norway

D

Deleted member 1085

Have just gone through this on my twin and although I have improved the situation, I don't see how it can be eliminate completely. Believe I have a similar situation on my BSA A01 so wonder if it is a fundamental of this type of ratchet system?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It is a common problem,but if the moon and the stars are in alignment you can have a Vincent kickstarter that jams perhaps one time in a hundred kicks. If the omens are against you then you might have a setup that jams one time in five.

I have one of each at present and have tried everything short of a new pawl to fix the problematic one.
The solution has been to ride the other bike!

Not much help for Dag, I realize, but some commiseration at least.

Glen

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,,

why not try pressing the shaft out of the qaudrent and fitting it the other way around, you will also have to push the spring peg out and fit that in the other way round. check the bushes that the shaft runs in and change as necesary, allso check G46 and bush and chang fif necesary. You should then have a kick start mechanism that will give you annother sixty years service.
cheers stumpy lord.
As im closing up on finishing my Egli build, (new engine) I now have had the bike "on the floor" to try out the kickstarter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagsinclair/sets/72157629214714916/
It does lock up solid some times, and works others. I know the reason to be the theeth locking agianst each other, rather than meshing. I know about grinding the first thooth etc. BUT as im struggling to make this work, I was wondering if anyone out there has some exact measures to grind by?

Any help apreciated!

Regards Dag
Norway

vibrac

VOC Member
best bit in stumpies suggestions is a shaft bush that fits snugly
That worked for me (I may be wrong but I seem to recall there are ferous and non ferous materials used for this bush in the past perhaps one is more prone to exacervating the fault)

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member

Any help apreciated!

Regards Dag
Norway

I was advised to knock the quadrant off the shaft. Reverse it and the spring anchor then grind away the first tooth by small increments and retry each time. I have managed to alter the locking up from 1 in 50 times to about 1 in 10 times! I am convinced it is all about getting the two bushes line reamed so that the shaft does not tilt in action. However as soon as wear sets in the teeth begin to meet each other obliquely and the problem starts again. The outer bush wears most. Mine is steel, presumably in an attempt to lessen wear. It doesn't.

Last edited:

jim burgess

VOC Member
My Black Shodow has a Stevenage made quadrant, sometimes this will lock, simply lifting the foot and trying again gives correct operatiopn. My Norvin however had no quadrant when I bought it. I bought a new one from VOCSC. This would lock solid every 2 or 3 operations. This would envolve putting the bike in gear and the rotating the rear wheel in order to move the ratchett to a new positoin before being able to try again. I eventually sent the quadrant and shaft back to VOCSC after they had gone thru much re-engineering of the component. The replacement works. Sometimes it will lock, but correction is as per the Black Shadow. Hope this helps good luck.

Any help apreciated!

Regards Dag
Norway

clevtrev

VOC Member
The problem with it locking, is down to the flat on the top of the ratchet gear. The best way to engage is to line the gears before you kick, gently feel the two together first, so that the two are aligned before the big heave ho.
If the problem keeps reappearing, make sure the first gear in the quadrant, and all the teeth on the ratchet, are pointed.

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for pointing me against the spares co! The quadrant was bought from them, and by confronting Ian with the problem he sent me a picture of how to rework the first tooth. (will have to do some "build up" by tig, to regain enough tooth for this profile) Having been sitting in front of the mec,:confused: and studing the behaviour of the theeth against each other, this seems a sensible shape. It should either push the ratchet, or move free of it, for the next tooth to engage. The blocking comes on as the top of two teeth hit each other.. -This should be avioded by this grind.. I hope... will try to get it done tomorrow, or wednesday, and report back!

Regards Dag

SANY0041.jpg