G: Gearbox (Twin) Kick start rubber

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On my Comets I seem to have cured the rubber working its way off when wet and the boot slipping off the rubber problems by using the rubber supplied for twin kickstarts.
I cut off one of the end tapers and put the rubber on, cut end first. The tapered out end of the rubber sits inboard of the mushroom head of the hinged footpiece.
As I understand it ( or at least think I do) all Comets left the factory with a fixed footpiece without rubber. I find these uncomfortable to ride with and risky to start the bike with as the peg isn’t long enough to hook outside my boot which slides off the mushroom. With the rubber tapering up towards the outer end there is little tendency for my foot to slip and with the top folded forward it doesn’t interfere with where my calf wants to be while riding.
It may not be standard but it is a definite improvement.
Vibrac's kickstart, swinging in from a bottom pivot, may be even better.
I also had the problem/issue of my foot slipping in the plain metal kickstarter especially when water was around. Instead of fitting a rubber to hide the problem I took a good look at the folding mechanism and discovered that it was worn, allowing the kickstart lever (not the shaft) to point downwards once part way through the stroke, thus promoting the slippage of my boot, wet or dry.

My fix was to add some weld metal to the inside of the shaft where it presses on the lever next to the pivot thus reducing the arc of movement and restoring the lever to a slight uphill angle when part way thru the stroke - no more slippage!

kickstart.jpg

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Michel,
I may have an old twin kickstart rubber if you want to try one, will check when I finish work & happy to post to you.
Cheers
Dave

Michel

VOC Member
For Comet Serie C and for your complete information, the good one is the british universal rubber open end (no logo) 57-2330 72mm long 25mm wide and 13mm internal diametre.
Thanks.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
For Comet Serie C and for your complete information, the good one is the british universal rubber open end (no logo) 57-2330 72mm long 25mm wide and 13mm internal diametre.
Thanks.
You can (used to be able to ) get good "rubbers" from your local chemist