Kick Start Revolution(s)

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know what magneto RPM is generally generated when one is (attempting) to kick start a Comet?

I have seen folks in my local VOC section demonstrate starting of their Comets by pushing down on the kick starter with their hands and have been amazed to see the bike start - something I cannot do with my Comet.

So - is there a range of expected magneto RPM's for a gentle prod, a regular kik and a God Almighty boot??

Martyn

alscomet

VOC Member
Martyn with the look at the content of your last two threads you must be having the same problems as me,just had the mag rewound,set the timing up to 37Deg BTDC fully advanced, made sure its before TDC on fully retarded, and it starts, stop it while its warm and I then kick the BXXXX
ard bike until I become puce in the face and it eventually starts,I then got to A&E and have a pot fitted on my thigh bone to be able to walk for the next week.Will the person who starts his by hand come and have a look at mine please ,or offer any suggestions. I have new lead,plug,carb re sleeved.When it starts it runs like a dream.Help I can feel a Honda coming on. Alan

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
It wont make you feel any better, but I believe that somebody in the Essex section says it is impossible not to start his Comet, no matter how gently you go at it.
Maybe Ossie can confirm.
JimR

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Martyn,I have exactly the same trouble as Alan,mag rewound,starts cold ok,runs great but won't restart if it stops.I have virtually given up on it as it is doing my leg in,is the leg problem partly due to the burman box/kickstart set up as I've never had it with any other bike no matter how much I've had to kick them.PS my twin (BTH mag) and Norvin (points-coils) are no problem.Chris.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I am at the moment trying hard to get the jetting right on my 600 cc Comet special. I have been kicking the bike a lot the last week believe me.
With my brothers clapped out 500 I use the valvelifter to get the bike over the compression and then give it a good kick-I am 17 stone by the way- and the bike starts 8 out of 10 times.
with the 600 having been completely rebuilt and not yet run in, this procedure does not work as the friction slows the engine down too much before the ignition fires. I do not know about the difference in k/s gearing between a Norton box that I use and a standard Burman box.
But now when I have eased the piston over compression I let the kickstart come back to the top and slowly depress it to the bottom of the stroke just to slowly revolve the engine further. After the kickstart has returned to the top again a give it a good long kick without touching the valvelifter and the engine starts every single time.
Simply because the engine spins faster by the time the spark occurs.

hope that helps
Bernd

Howard

VOC Member
Does anyone know what magneto RPM is generally generated when one is (attempting) to kick start a Comet?

I have seen folks in my local VOC section demonstrate starting of their Comets by pushing down on the kick starter with their hands and have been amazed to see the bike start - something I cannot do with my Comet.

So - is there a range of expected magneto RPM's for a gentle prod, a regular kik and a God Almighty boot??

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I seem to remember reading that electric starts turn the engine at about 400 rpm, I'll bet someone calculated that based on leaping up and down on a kickstart. Quick guestimate 2 engine revs to a kick in about 1/3 second = 360 rpm. Not sure how you'll use that to start your comet - I'll upset half the forum by saying dump the mag and go electronic!

H

Alan J

VOC Member
I have seen all manner of "electronical devices" fitted on Vincents!-but none seem any better than a good "mag!"-"The road goes on for ever " on this subject!-

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I some times ride a friends Comet it is standard he has trouble starting it, it always starts first or second kick for me it must be a knack but what the knack is I dont know, I think it may be he fears that it is going to kick him, back this can happen on a worn ATD

Howard

VOC Member
I some times ride a friends Comet it is standard he has trouble starting it, it always starts first or second kick for me it must be a knack but what the knack is I dont know, I think it may be he fears that it is going to kick him, back this can happen on a worn ATD

.............. and worrying about the kickback is the surest way of getting it to kick back !! :)

H

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
This thread started me thinking, so fished out my spare rebuilt magneto and ran it in the lathe. No sparks at first, this due to corrosion on the points, have noticed this before on unused ignition systems, even after a winter lay off. The Mag produces sparks at almost any RPM above zero, if the modern capacitor stands the stress it has to be the way to go.
Has anyone tried the new capacitor that fits in the points yet?
Have to agree with Alan J a good Mag is the best. The one on my solo has been making blue sparks for me for 47 years now, with only a couple of look see's in that time.

Gegards John.