ET: Engine (Twin) Kick Start Indexing Problem

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Please look at the previous page, there are more postings about the jamming. And no, a half tooth will not help much, I tried this first believing it would work. But I could easily find positions of quadrant / small gear orientations when tooth tops would jam, just try for yourself in small increments. The real trick is to grind the first tooth on quadrant to a pointy top, half tooth is allright as well when pointy . So then you´d have to be extra careful to get pointy tops to jam, unlikely with some grease on gears. Also watch the video clip, I had trouble to get gears to jam when all is pointy on small gears plus first of quadrant - and that was the exercise.

Vic

Alyson

VOC Member
quadrant.JPG

Alyson

VOC Member
Sorry, it's a BMW /2 but shows pretty much what they did to solve this problem. I was inside the transmission so took a quick shot before getting it back together.

LoneStar

VOC Member
Please look at the previous page, there are more postings about the jamming. And no, a half tooth will not help much, I tried this first believing it would work. But I could easily find positions of quadrant / small gear orientations when tooth tops would jam, just try for yourself in small increments. The real trick is to grind the first tooth on quadrant to a pointy top, half tooth is allright as well when pointy . So then you´d have to be extra careful to get pointy tops to jam, unlikely with some grease on gears. Also watch the video clip, I had trouble to get gears to jam when all is pointy on small gears plus first of quadrant - and that was the exercise.

Vic

I too fail to see the logic in the "half tooth" solution. To recap some points already made:

If it's short enough to not touch the tips of the teeth on the engaging gear, you've just moved the whole issue to the next quadrant tooth - no improvement.

If it can still contact the gear's tooth, it will jam whenever it happens to hit the tip of the gear tooth. A truncated quadrant tooth has a much wider flat surface than the tip of a normal one - so with greater area available for jamming, it seems likely to happen more often.

Having sharply-pointed profiles on all the teeth, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. Taken to the extreme, you'd have two knife-edges approaching each other. They could only jam if the edges aligned perfectly - very unlikely.