kick start crank rehab

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The serrations on my kickstart crank G76 have be been stripped. Does anyone know if the serrations can be restored, or do I need to look for a new kick lever. Presently, I have what looks like 3 pieces of allen wrench drilled and hammered into place, destroying both the shaft and lever. It works, but looks horrible. Thanks for any input, Dan

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Kick start crank

I have had a couple done in the UK, the eye is closed up and re-broached, then a sliting saw is used to open out the pinch slot.
Ian S

nkt267

VOC Member
Another mod I have seen.The shaft is milled to a hexagon and the crank eye is opened up to the outside diameter of a socket wrench.The socket wrench is put onto the modified kickstart shaft,the crank is slid over the socket and tack welded in the required position and then removed and welded permanently.Finally remove the excess of the socket wrench and you have a much more secure kickstart crank.I hope this makes some sense..John

clevtrev

VOC Member
Another mod I have seen.The shaft is milled to a hexagon and the crank eye is opened up to the outside diameter of a socket wrench.The socket wrench is put onto the modified kickstart shaft,the crank is slid over the socket and tack welded in the required position and then removed and welded permanently.Finally remove the excess of the socket wrench and you have a much more secure kickstart crank.I hope this makes some sense..John

The hexagon milled on the shaft will NOT be strong enough.

vapide

Non-VOC Member
I had this happen many years ago, and on the advice of the local guru, Coburn Benson, drilled a hole half in the shaft and half in the crank, to accomodate a roller bearing.

In retrospect I can see a number of problems with this, and would probably do it differently today, but at the time that seemed to be the standard, accepted cure, and it has given absolutely no trouble in the years since.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi all. Another fairly common cure is to get and old kickstarter or gear lever with matching good spline, cut the two and weld and chrome, keeping the twin ones kink, to make a new one. I am having one done and will let you know how good it is when I get it back.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
As for the hex not being strong enough. Of course Clevtrev you are right. I did mine this way in about 1993 or 1994 and for those years and some 75,000 miles I have worried myself enlessly about it. Mind you I only run 9.4:1 compression so it isn't strained too much. I did have to drill and tap the end of the shaft to hold the lever on as the 6 flats do not seem to offer as much longtitudinal grip twixt shaft and crank. By the way I used a 5/8 deep impact socket and milled the shaft to be a tight fit in there, and as deejay pointed out tacked it in place where I wanted it positioned and then took it off and welded it fully, recut the slit, polished and rechromed.

All in all a very unsuitable repair.

If anyone has any old stripped k/s shafts or cranks, I'll gladly pay for the postage if you'd like to give them to me.

Robert

vapide

Non-VOC Member
Oh, and on Coburn's advice I also added a bolt and washer on the end of the shaft, to keep the crank from drifting outward, which he said was one of the main causes of the splines wearing and ripping out in the first place.

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
My God.

What price do you put on a busted leg when a bit of weld let's go?
Makes me wonder why I have just had 50 made when I could have saved a few £££ and just got some old scrap one's welded up:confused:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
You do know why you had 50 done.....

Russ,

Good on you - I'm sure you had 50 done because at the current rate of parts requirements mine is going to go in the not too distant future and then I'll do what I always do when I need help and call you. I'm sure there will be 48 more of us (I know Dave Dixon got one off you).

I hope you have one left when I come to order one!

Cheers

Stuart

What price do you put on a busted leg when a bit of weld let's go?
Makes me wonder why I have just had 50 made when I could have saved a few £££ and just got some old scrap one's welded up:confused: