Ken Petteford Rose Bowl

Shadowman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I must begin by thanking those who nominated me for this prestigious award.
I must confess that I knew little about it until I heard I was to receive it. Now that I know more I feel proud to rank amongst those whose names are inscribed on its side and I will cherish forever the beautiful inscribed glass which came with it. (see picture attached)

For those who don't know, I was awarded the bowl for my ride through 16 countries going as far north as the Arctic Circle during the 5600 miles in June and July this year. I have written about my adventure and I believe it will be published in MPH soon.

What a great club the VOC is!
Thanks again
Peter Sprot

Attachments

• DSC05065.jpg
    DSC05065.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Pettiford Trophy

One of my favourite VOC stories is that the "furthest travelled member" award presented at the Annual Rally is the one trophy that has never gone AWOL. This is because, having travelled from the Utter Hebrides to Stevenage, whatever, an epic journey of 27,000 miles, the award is a colossal crystal rosebowl, 27" in diameter, and weighing 13 kg. Obviously you can't take it home on a solo Vincent, so the VOC retains it until the winner can raise a big enough mortgage to pay the freight. This has never happened: no-one has ever taken the trophy home.

Si non e vero, ma e ben trovato: if it isn't true, it deserves to be. Note particularly that I do not choose to be told that this story is untrue, even if it is, so please title any responses refuting it "Don't read this, Tom".

And congratulations on being awarded the trophy: peer recognition is the only true praise.

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
The Ken Petteford Rose Bowl

Hi to everyone (except Tom who shouldn't read this!)

In actual fact, there is not an award made at the Annual Rally for the furthest travelled. The Ken Petteford Rose Bowl is not awarded at the Annual Rally, it is an award made annually and awarded each year at the Annual Dinner.

The award is made to the "member with the best performance on a Vincent powered machine, at a non-sporting event", nothing to do with how many miles Peter rode. In order to win the trophy, the possible winners have to be nominated and seconded by other VOC members and a vote is taken at the September GCM to determine the final winner.

As long as the member resides in the UK (where the trophy is covered by our insurance policy) they get to keep the award for a year until the following Annual Dinner. A replica is also supplied, which is the winner's property for life.

Congratulations Peter!

Last edited by a moderator:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi to everyone (except Tom who shouldn't read this!)

In actual fact, there is not an award made at the Annual Rally for the furthest travelled. The Ken Petteford Rose Bowl is not awarded at the Annual Rally, it is an award made annually and awarded each year at the Annual Dinner.

The award is made to the "member with the best performance on a Vincent powered machine, at a non-sporting event", nothing to do with how many miles Peter rode. In order to win the trophy, the possible winners have to be nominated and seconded by other VOC members and a vote is taken at the September GCM to determine the final winner.

As long as the member resides in the UK (where the trophy is covered by our insurance policy) they get to keep the award for a year until the following Annual Dinner. A replica is also supplied, which is the winner's property for life.

Congratulations Peter!

Replicas must be a recent innovation, I never had one.

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
Trophy Replica's

I have only been looking after the trophies on and off since 2001, so I am afraid I am not at liberty to comment on what the protocol was back in 1984, after all, I was only 9 at the time and not that bothered then about VOC politics:D. I would assume that there isn't much that can be done 24 years on - otherwise there would be a lot of people coming forward for a replica and it would cost the VOC thousands:eek:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Cripes and crikey, as Boris would say. I must be older than I thought to find that people do not know who Ken Petteford was. He was a man who covered many tens of thousands of miles on his Vincent twin on business, thought that it should be part of a decent bikes repertoire to be able to go to Silverston every year and do a High Speed Trial prior to a long tour and also developed the longer rear springs which aid the comfort on the rear of 'B's and 'C's. The long rear springs which are often fitted to bikes nowadays were Ken's contribution to the comfort of riders and passengers. Remember that the 'D's were developed after consultation and feedback from many VOC members, hence the carbs on one side of the bike, coil ignition for easier starting, longer softer spring on the rear and a fully sprung rear end. I believe that Peter Gerrish had Ken's bike after Ken could no longer use it but no doubt someone else with personal knowledge can fill in some of those details.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Difficult to comment when I haven't read it, but why hasn't Trevor got a replica? I think this is an oversight that needs to be remedied.
I don`t really need one, I have my memories.
Just made a comment, that it might have been a new innovation.