K1F slack advance/retard, help needed

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gent and Ladies,

Is the below a slack advance or retard:

DSCF6999.jpg

I believe it is a slack advance, so I just need to time it as it is and then fit a choke lever to fire the bike up. But before I go any further I need someone to confirm my thinking is right!

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Yes, slack wire advance provided the magneto is rotating clockwise when viewed at the drive end.

Gerry

b'knighted

VOC Member
Surely Comet points rotate clockwise, so rotating the cam anticlockwise will advance the spark. Wouldn't that make this mag tight wire advance?

Easy check - time it at 2 - 4 degrees advance with wire slack. It should start easily. If when you advance it against increased revs the engine fades away, you've gone to after TDC and you know to retime it at 2 - 4 degrees advance with wire tight.
If, alternatively, it breaks your leg, you'll know I've got it wrong!

minivin

VOC Member
I like your style ;-) thanks gents, fortunately I have found the problem with the BT-H, so the Mag is going back on the shelf for the moment, but I at least know it should be slack advance, or I'll just break my ankle to even out my broken body! :cool:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sorry Ian, But as per the twins, the points assembly rotate anti clockwise looking from the points end....so turning the cam ring cock wise advances the timing and anti clock to retard.....Cheers.....Greg.