K1 spanner

Shanghai

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On a tool web site, this is described as an early K1 Vincent spanner, "Correct and genuine tool for earlier models, much rarer than later 12 point tools".
Does anyone know if that's true or not?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 52

vibrac

VOC Member
Is it rarer-Yes ,is it any good for the job- No
I suppose collectors,investors and stationary works of art collectors would love it

vibrac

VOC Member
Careful! myths have a way of becoming real eg: the monogramed cleaning cloth

(see R-K17-* spares company)

Shanghai

VOC Member
Thanks guys (he says tongue in cheek) but it doesn't really answer my question.
Does anyone know if this spanner pre-dates the 12 point version and was it supplied with earlier model Vincents?

Howard

VOC Member
I think the early one came as a pair with the left handed K1L which was used for tightening.;-)

H

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A little humour is good but not very informative.;-)

Take a look at the link below. It shows an early MO33 parts book illustration of the Vincent tool kit. It shows a 6 point K1. If we assume that the parts book shows what was supplied then you have your answer. The same 6 point K1 is shown on"C" and "D" parts drawing at the main club site. Is the far superior 12 point version perhaps something developed by the VOC Spares Co?
http://coventryvoc.co.uk/parts_list_drawings/m033.htm

Thanks guys (he says tongue in cheek) but it doesn't really answer my question.
Does anyone know if this spanner pre-dates the 12 point version and was it supplied with earlier model Vincents?

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ed
While the MO drawings are indicative of the "start point" I never felt they are much good for picking out the "stop point" for components or tool design changes, one only has to look at the gearchange picture to see that they were not updated often. As far back as I bought Vincent tools they have always been 12 point even the 'Canada one' with the corkscrew attched was 12 point -Which since to me wine is what tranmissions do when the dynamo sprocket is too far in, I found is used for getting rubber bungs out of crash bars :)

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
K.T.B. clearly states that early machines had a single hexagon spanner. I had a bit of fun a couple of years ago and made one for a local member stamped "K.J." 1 as these are his initials. This should cause some debate long after I have ceased caring!