K/S Lever

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The bolt is very tight, but the lever still rocks a bit on the shaft. To protect the serrations, should I widen the clamp slot?

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Mine was the same - I carefully went down the slot with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and it's fine now. If you slip a bit of sheet steel down the slot, put the bolt in the threaded side then tighten against it, you can open it out safely for better access.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Is the sheet metal to avoid the cutting wheel getting pinched? Regarding "threaded side", my lever has through holes.

Mine was the same - I carefully went down the slot with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and it's fine now. If you slip a bit of sheet steel down the slot, put the bolt in the threaded side then tighten against it, you can open it out safely for better access.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I am thinking of "shaving" off a small amount with the slot in its relaxed position with an abrasive disk on my dremel tool. This should remove less metal than the hacksaw blade. I may see if feeler gauges tell me where the metal needs to be removed, if the slot is tapered while clamped.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I am thinking of "shaving" off a small amount with the slot in its relaxed position with an abrasive disk on my dremel tool. This should remove less metal than the hacksaw blade. I may see if feeler gauges tell me where the metal needs to be removed, if the slot is tapered while clamped.
Check out the shaft before you do anything. Could be that`s come to the end of its life.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Mine has a threaded hole on one side - the sheet metal just allows the screw to gently push the two halves apart.

davidd

VOC Member
The bolt is very tight, but the lever still rocks a bit on the shaft. To protect the serrations, should I widen the clamp slot?

Bruce,

I know when making a new KS it is important that the serrations not come too close to the slot, otherwise the clamping effect is minimized and rocking will occur.

David