Jointing compound

petermb998

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Stuart.
I have used that tube of three-bond 1215 and got a couple of tubes from the Coventry Ducati dealers. Not difficult to get from them.
Also if you go on the www.Threebond.co.uk site you should find dealers near you.
If I remember right the Threebond site also lists the different grades and uses.
I have used most of the sealants as listed by previous members. But the Threebond is by far the best.
regards Peter
PS
Bob Dunn was the person to recommend Threebond. If Bob uses it it must be good.

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Peter - long time no hear

Hi Peter,

L&L lift is brilliant - should have got one a long time ago.

Off to Shepton Mallet in the morning - you going?

S

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Occasionally, when feeling nostalgic and feeling a desire for uncleanable fingers, I use Wellseal, usually a smear on oil-feed banjo seals and the like. On gasket faces I use domestic silicone from B&Q, at about £2 for the one cubic metre pack. If you have a Brown Shadow, you can even get wood-grain sealant to match. The biker alternative is the same stuff coloured orange (like cheddar cheese - white is real, orange is white dyed...) from Hermetitite costing £10 for 10 cc. Smell it: it's the same stuff.
I use it on almost everything, including (Sunbeam) cylinder head copper/asbestos gaskets. On a Rudge rocker box cover (think of a deep fat fryer with a lid) it will remain oiltight metal to metal for over a year. What were called "top engine tuners" - i.e. guys who build Manx Norton motors for a living - use it.
The only care that need be taken (apart from moderation, below) is to tighten down covers in stages, to let everything settle. Which you ought to do anyway. And, top tuner's tip, ho ho, cutting the blind end off the nozzle sliver by sliver gradually increasing the hole size so as to deposit a thin bead, about 1/16", not a toothpaste sized 1/4".
Forget about stringers of gloop plugging oilways, just moderate your use of it to suit the purpose. A thin coat is all you need. However, when I was younger, more profligate, I used lots. I never plugged an oilway, invariably found the squeezed out stringer still in place. Once it sets, any stringer outside can be peeled off to leave a joint that looks as though it was sculpted with a razor blade. . One can even use it having put a film of oil over one surface, so that if the joint has to be split the silicone won't tear, and it will reseal good as new.
And, as they say of mother's milk, it comes in an attractive and easily usable container.