John Hardon Norvin

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello to all the Vincenteers around the world.
My brother is looking to built a 500 Norvin with all essential parts already there for years. The main holdup was that however we placed the engine in a type 99 frame it never looked good to our eyes. so what is needed is drastic surgery like spreading the down tubes at the front to drop the engine between the frame rails. In almost any picture the engine is tilted backwards for the exhaust to clear the down tubes, if you put the engine where it should, the cylinder is not parallel with the down tubes and also looked odd to my eye.
I know I am only talking about esthetic reasons, but isn't this the main reason why you built a special?

when you click on the link you will find a picture from a Norvin in a magazine built by John Hardon for my liking the probably best looking Norvin by the way the engine fits the frame.

Now I want to ask for your help if anybody if you out there has more pictures of this very special motorcycle.
Glad to receive anything that helps to see the more details.

Here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/EgliVincen...9034106186774/502044386552412/?type=3&theater

kind regards
Bernd

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Do you have the magazine ? I thought there was quite a bit in the article but it's years since I read it.
If I remember he cut out the downtubes and frame bottom rails then fabricated a box like structure from the steering head down to the front cylinder head mounting and the rear head mounting was fastened to a strap between the top tubes and engine plates at the back tying the vincent motor to the frame gusset plates.
With a comet engine a different approach may be needed, possibly you could do the same for the cylinder at the front but leave the bottom rails in under the gearbox ? Or possibly it would be strong enough without, given you would have less weight, power and performance ?
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
Only noticed the other day on a bike my son was working on that on a Norvin you cannot fit the godet electric starter as the frame rails underneath get in the way. Thats a pity especially considering the problems posed by the kickstart and rearset pedals so prevalent on them. Makes a non beliver wonder what why so many Norvins keep the bottom run of rails.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
In my book it's all about the integrity of Mr Mc Candlesses superior chassis.By taking the lower chassis away, what chance has the poor old steering head have of staying rigid when cornering forces are applied ? Ok, the Norton 30m Is a seriously heavy "lump" but I'll lay money that the Vin is a greater weight. So greater integrity is required, less can only lead to dissapointment, and a waste of money! Roy.

davidd

VOC Member
The Egli enthusiasts must be finding it very hard not to but into this thread :cool:

Very good TT! Yes it does seem like a Norton frame is being cut in order to make it an Egli frame. I suspect Bernd has registration reasons on top of aesthetics that are driving the decision as a Comet Egli can look quite good. They certainly perform well. That said, I am not offended by the lower frame tubes. I noticed several Comet Norvins that I thought fit quit nicely in frames including Randy Hoffman's:
Randy Hoffman Norvin.jpg

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah I can see the point of the Norton comet that was never a unit engine and gearbox but a feather bed frame enclosing a perfectly good aluminium frame member is a bit like an armoured car with a sherman tank inside
:rolleyes: Having said that I would rather a Norvin Comet than a Model 50 Norton:D

Black Flash

VOC Member
As usual David picked a picture out of his million pictures where a 500 looks really nice.
Actually the best looking 500 Norvin I have seen so far.
Still I would very much like to see the drive side of the bike and I bet that DD has a picture of that as well.

Sorry for the misspelling but my Wurfes ipad is auto correcting to probably Polish every single word I type.
Bernd

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Flash, This was built in UK, The owner says it's steering was a bit heavy, But with a 500, maybe not !, Cheers Bill.
Norvin-UK-july2010.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Hello Flash, This was built in UK, The owner says it's steering was a bit heavy, But with a 500, maybe not !, Cheers Bill.View attachment 12518
Now that is a nice Norvin-with a frame in context, In retrospect perhaps my previous posting was a little harsh, Taken in the context of the time (The late fifties) when earlier standard Vincents had the disadvantage of poor damping, ten year old components, dated looking forks and a problematical spares future, the Norvin was a viable alternative. It is after all Ogri's choice of machine not an Egli, In that vein I see that there is a highly priced but good looking Egli on evil bay registered 1950! go figure...