John Hardon Norvin

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had a ride on Ernst Hegeler´s Norvin at Dick Sherwin's barbecue a few years back. It was a very nicely sorted bike, handled well over the ten miles or so I rode it and the electric starter worked very nicely. A nice bit of design. The frame looked like a Norton to me but I was told that it was Ernst's own design and there were subtle differences.

roger v

VOC Member
I had a ride on Ernst Hegeler´s Norvin at Dick Sherwin's barbecue a few years back. It was a very nicely sorted bike, handled well over the ten miles or so I rode it and the electric starter worked very nicely. A nice bit of design. The frame looked like a Norton to me but I was told that it was Ernst's own design and there were subtle differences

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes but not all. The starter is situated where the dynamo was originally placed and drives a gear at the rear of the clutch. I believe this is the ideal position as it allows the use of a pre-engaged or Bendix type starter. However, Ernst will not fit these to original crankcases as it requires some machining to make space behind the clutch. He makes his own new crankcases. The down side of this position for the starter is that one needs to find another place for a charging system and Ernst does this by producing a combined charging and ignition system to be placed where the original magneto was placed. It seems to work well but is noticeable. My understanding is that Ernst does not speak any English but if you meet him then another English speaking German person, possibly Little Honda, helps with communication. I do not have any details of what make or model of starter is used but it is robust and works well.

roger v

VOC Member
mail to: zweirad-hegeler@web.de
you may write in english, I´ll translate for him
mail to: zweirad-hegeler@web.de
you may write in english, I´ll translate for him
How many crankcases has he produced and if he has sold any into the UK . What are the costs of the cases , the starter motor and its clutch . Is the combined generator / ignition system an off the shelf item or made just for this project . Can the standard clutch cover from a Vincent be used .