John Hardon Norvin

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The John Hardon Norvin was bought and brought to Australia for the 83 International by John Goodwin of Sydney. Soon after that the bike was owned by the then Editor of Two Wheels Magazine. The bike was last seen in Italy some years back and had gained the ident of the Italian Norvin. I believe that there may have been another owner of it in Australia between John Goodwins ownership and it going to Italy.

roger v

VOC Member
I have since bought the Classic Bike issue via ebay. The machine looks really well built and building one still swirls in my head.
Unfortunately the business is asking for all my attention at the moment, so this idea is delayed for uncertain time.

Bernd
Hi Bernd What issue is the Classic Bike regards Roger

Cyborg

VOC Member
August 82.

Attachments

• 50CE433C-359F-4F7F-834E-6A28E57560A3.jpeg
    50CE433C-359F-4F7F-834E-6A28E57560A3.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 28

Black Flash

VOC Member
Thank you Cyborg,
you saved me looking through stacks of magazines.
I also liked the strengthening of the headstock etc which was well documented in the article by nice photographs.
To let you know, we never built a bike like that as my brother gave up riding due to problems with his hands. I after years of search finally found the only Metisse Vincent ever built by the late Jack Barker and Pat French.
I am fully restoring this bike at the moment and the amount of horrors that come along is frightening.
But it will be worth it in the end as it was built by one of my best friends ever

Bernd

roger v

VOC Member
August 82.
Thanks Cyborg , have ordered a copy on ebay . so can study the article from a visual aspect , however can existing owners of Norvins please confirm [ or not ] that the front cylinder can be suspended from the frame cross member that is behind the headstock . If so this can be my datum for the rear cylinder .

Cyborg

VOC Member
In stock form, the head steady is bolted to the top of the headstock. On this bike, the head steady (maybe headstock brace would be more accurate) was replaced with a tube that goes from the top of the headstock to a cross tube between the upper frame rails… basically where the rear head mount is. I would consider this a very important part of the puzzle.

roger v

VOC Member
In stock form, the head steady is bolted to the top of the headstock. On this bike, the head steady (maybe headstock brace would be more accurate) was replaced with a tube that goes from the top of the headstock to a cross tube between the upper frame rails… basically where the rear head mount is. I would consider this a very important part of the puzzle.
Hi Cyborg Thanks for the photos ahead of my copy arriving . I like the idea of the long tubular brace which I had in mind for my project . It follows Norton Commando practice so must be OK . Also see how the builder braces the cross member from the headstock for cylinder one support , which fixes the dimension for the rear cross tube . Roger

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Only noticed the other day on a bike my son was working on that on a Norvin you cannot fit the godet electric starter as the frame rails underneath get in the way. Thats a pity especially considering the problems posed by the kickstart and rearset pedals so prevalent on them. Makes a non beliver wonder what why so many Norvins keep the bottom run of rails.
Ernst Hegeler´s Norvin does have an electric starter of his own manufacture. Dick Sherwin got a testride on it, some time ago.