John Hardon Norvin

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone know who made the exhaust pipes on that Norvin? They look to have a much nicer joint between the front and rear pipes than the standard ones.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The bike was built from all new bits by Phill Robinson, The well known BSA builder and tuner, The frame was built by an chap with an Italian name, If Bernd needs to know it , I think I have it Somewhere !!
Norvin%20TWB291%20096.jpg

Black Flash

VOC Member
Bill
I like the look of this bike very much, now imagine there are the front gusset plated for the original front stands and magneto cowl fitted.
this would fill the slightly large space between the front wheel /mudgard and engine . PERFECT !!!
Don't get me wrong the bike in the picture is stunning as it is !

I think we are quite capable to make all the necessary alterations to the frame, it would just be nice to find some close up pictures of
the cut down down tubes and how the head bracket are connected to the frame. Also the Norton frame was a bit weak round the steering head, that is why they made this gusset plate round the lower headstock and down tubes. By cutting these off I would like to see how the Norvin builder managed to regain the lost strength. On the Hardon pic you can see the the necessary connection between upper headstock and front frame brace and engine top which usually is just a single sheet metal plate was replaced by a very sturdy steel tube. This reaches from top of the headstock to the rear cross brace of the top frame rails and eliminates for front to aft movement (flexing) of the headstock.
What I cannot see on the picture is if there is kind of a boxing done to the headstock to regain strength against twisting sideways.

I hope you can catch my meaning my English is not so good as to explain exactly.

Hope somebody may be able to find some of those pictures

Bernd

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bernd, We think the same things !!, I like to put my own touch on things, I like Standard bikes, But not mine !! I spoke to Phill on the phone, He is a very nice bloke, Likes a chat, I sold him an old G.P. carb' 1.1/2", Which he can redo everything on it, Says it is better than the new ones !! I am sure if you phoned him he could tell you things, Good luck, Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Only noticed the other day on a bike my son was working on that on a Norvin you cannot fit the godet electric starter as the frame rails underneath get in the way. Thats a pity especially considering the problems posed by the kickstart and rearset pedals so prevalent on them. Makes a non beliver wonder what why so many Norvins keep the bottom run of rails.
Maybe you should check with Roy Cross, because he has done just that.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now that would be interesting! In the view I had of the Norvin in the workshop the G50 plate was just above the bottom rail and its the modified G50 plate that carries the extension 'lobe' that the starter motor attaches to.
Would be interesting and useful to know what Roy did .

Don McInnes

VOC Member
The John Hardon (!) Norvin was on show at the Sydney leg of the 1983 VOC International Rally & for sale for A$14,000, a very high price at the time, it was on the front cover of Classic Bike issue that contained that article. It was a very well put together machine, has anyone seen or heard of it since?

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have since bought the Classic Bike issue via ebay. The machine looks really well built and building one still swirls in my head.
Unfortunately the business is asking for all my attention at the moment, so this idea is delayed for uncertain time.

Bernd