Jim Sugg

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Jim, chief tester at Vincents. his farther was Austrian moved to Liverpool UK married a local lady and ran a Textile company, that's how Jim could race in the IOM, on a rent a Norton which I am told was quite common in those days.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The story goes that Dick MANN (a US racer) borrowed a G50 Matchless road bike from the factory in I think 1962, anyway, took the engine out and put it in a AJS 7R frame and came with in a few bike lengths of winning the DATONA 200.

MAX

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The rest of the story as I remember it . Dick in the day was a low bucks racer as many were and still are. Dick to compete for the AMA NATIONAL CHAMPION SHIP needed a flat tracker as that is one of the events of the champion ship quest . Dick wrangled his way to get a used BSA GOLD STAR RIDGED frame and put the G50 motor in it, changing only the cams. Dick went on to win the champion ship by 1 point
breaking the Harley 3 decade AMA rain. Most impressive was the fact that it was done with a SINGEL CYLINDER ENGINE, laying waste to the dominate V TWIN H.D.

MAX