JG Regulators

Steve Barber

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have managed to blow up my positive earth JG regulator after 20 years of faultless service. Can anyone suggest a supplier for a replacement please so that I dont miss too many more riding opportunities in the sunny weather on the south coast.
many thanks
Steve B

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Steve,
I have a 12 volt JG positive earth unit in a Miller box which you are welcome to. It was working perfectly when I removed it from my Rapide some years ago because I wanted to revert to neg earth. Obviously I can not guarantee it and you would have to collect as I am unable to walk currently. I am in the West London area. If you are interested contact me off Forum.
Hugo

Last edited:

Steve Barber

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Problem Solved

Many thanks for the advice and kind offers. I have now managed to resolve the problem. Just need the sun to come out again!
Thanks again to all
Steve B

akewe

Forum User
VOC Member
I have replace my old regulator and change it for a 6 v Wassell reg.It doesn`t work when i start the engine,so I wonder if the battery is fullloaded it dosen`t charge,so maybe I have to wait for a while,and drive a few miles with the lights on.
Cheers Åke Welamsson

stu spalding

VOC Member
A firm called Dynamo Regulators Ltd do a range of control units that are proofed against everything that even the most inept electrical klutz can throw at them. I've blown up all manner of black boxes with my Fiat dynamo, but in the D.R. unit I've found one that lives quite happily on my bike. Cheers, Stu.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Akawe
Here's a copy of the mail I had to send to the supplier when I bought a 6V Wassell reg.
I did the dynamo check of removing the regulator and wiring full field which gave charge just above tick-over speed, so I checked the Wassell.

"We recently bought a Wassell 6V Negative earth regulator.
Sadly it was found to regulate at too low a voltage.
When checked on the test rig with resistive loads, regulation started when the yellow D connection was at only 5.8V, and the field current had become zero at 6.55V.
At this point the Red output is a diode drop below, giving just 5.88V.
A 6V battery needs about 7.2V to charge. I cant believe how this unit got out of the factory with a setting at least 1.3V low.
Do you have any stock with the correct setting?"

I gave up in the end and bought a Vreg2.

Regards
Tatty

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have replace my old regulator and change it for a 6 v Wassell reg.It doesn`t work when i start the engine,so I wonder if the battery is fullloaded it dosen`t charge,so maybe I have to wait for a while,and drive a few miles with the lights on.
Cheers Åke Welamsson
A friend of mine tried three Wassell regulators, non of them worked properly and were sent back to Wassells. He efentually bought a Dynamo Regulators unit and although more expensive it actually works and works well.

akewe

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks everyone for the answer.I bought my Wassell at Feked .com and I dont now if I can send it back,maybe they dont take reclamation on electricparts.I think I buy another fabriqate regulator.
Cheers Åke Welamsson