Jet Block removal

richardb

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know if there is a trick to removing the Jet block from 289 Amal carbs ?
I am doing a full clean up of my carbs (they have a lot of varnish from old fuel in them). Everything is stripped down and only the jet blocks remain in place. I was expecting them to just press out by hand after a good dose of Carb cleaner - but not the case. Before doing anything else it would be good to learn from anyone who has done this before and has any tips/advice.

This is just a clean up job as slides, carb bodies etc are all showing almost zero wear.

Thanks a lot,
Richard

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Something I saw on the forum before:-
Try cooling the carb in the freezer for a few hours,take it out, dip a cloth in boiling water and wrap it around the carb it may expand the body before the jet block warms up..john

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Be very very careful:eek:

If you use to much force pushing the jet block out, you will run the risk of damaging both the jet block, and ruining the fit between the jet block and body which is critical to good running.:mad:

You would be much better off finding someone local who will ultrasonically clean the carbs for you using a solvent such as acetone, which will clean the very small passage ways in the jet block (some are as small as 13 thou') without damage...

Cheers
Neil

richardb

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks thanks a lot for the answers so far.
Good advice Neil. The small passageways are the reason I was looking to take the jet block out, but I didnt know they were as small as 13thou. I think I certainly have a good varnish deposit in them.
Distortion to the slide guide is my main fear if I should proceed and there are hidden clips or they are soldered in.

So I understand now that they "should" just push out with moderate light finger pressure and if needed Thermal persuasion - no hidden clips/soldering or other holding them in.

Thanks so far,
Richard