Jenbro 6" Pliers for Series ‘C’ Toolkit

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
K17 was originally heavyweight linen, with a 20° offset warp, similar to contemporary "Shop" cloths. The "V.O.C." things date from the 1980's. They were advertised for sale in "M.P.H.", I could be wrong, but was it an American Section that had them made?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Mine was found folded as per the illustration in the Spares List, at the bottom of the original tool tray of a Shadow that came to Australia after a long time in the U.S.A. The tool tray had been taken off the bike and had lain unused as the bike had been raced, which was indicated by lightened flywheels. I have the cloth undergoing analysis with a Materials Conservator attached to Melbourne University. It has suffered the depredations of silverfish and moths, but is about 90% intact. Its condition, format and size is completely commensurate with the probable original situation and usage. They were priced at 1 shilling in 1952, incidentally.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 28

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
To be honest, I had them made at my Rally in 2016 and noticed it in Michael's shot. It is not an original K17, but it works!
Jeepers that means I am getting old Josh. About 3000km on a comet for that rally and my butt was sore after that one. :D

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Further notes on my K17 cloth. Sorry this information is Metric. Dimensions are 18 x 48 cm. with one 18cm. edge turned over about 9mm. for a rough hem. Weight, allowing for wear and insect munching is about 55 grams. So the weight of the material is roughly 630 grams per square metre. The Conservator says it is similar to heavy suiting fabric, though she's not seen anything precisely the same in her experience.