JEL Lightning (Rollie Free Bathing Suit Bike) Documentary needs VOC help.

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Better yet, do a documentary on the living legend Dave Matson. Still racing at Bonneville and is still the fastest Vincent rider ever and still has a record. Plus, Dave's a genuinely nice guy... I think the Free story has been overdone. The bike isn't that exciting, just a B Shadow. The speed (150 mph)has been duplicated many times since, no big deal. I think Dave got near 230mph, and that is a big deal. Just a thought. Dan

Dave Matson achievements are truly amazing but his story does not have the elements of drama that are necessary for a documentary intended for the general public. The Rollie Free story is the story of the underdog, a grudge match if you will. It includes the back story of an obscure British motorcycle from a cottage factory created by the two enthusiast Phils, always in financial difficulty but by using one of their machines and sheer guts Rollie trounced the mighty Harley D corporation. Added to this is the iconic image of how it was achieved. Over the years I have approached a number of documentary makers. Some were beginning to show an interest until 'The Fastest Indian' came out. They then concluded that there wasn't room for two such stories.

Somer

VOC Member
Dave was dramatic in his own way. He slid through the traps at 220+. He WASN'T on the bike!

As far as Free's story ; it wasn't "JUST" a B Shadow but a prototypical Lightning. Works advertized as much too. If you really look and see, you'll find it is tough for a Vincent twin to break 150 at 4,000 feet plus altitude. I only know of a few and they were in a higher state of tune than the Edgar bike.

vibrac

VOC Member
In any case the "hidden censor" will ensure that hardly anyone of the general UK public will see the result.
After all "The Worlds Fastest Indian " with a world class star who is the toast of the establishment in any other film was only on in one cinema in a radius of 50 miles and then only for 3 days and I calculate there are 15 cinemas in that radius
God forbid that the youth of this country realise that there is more to two wheels than push bikes....

Bracker1

VOC Member
Dave's story is the best. He still rides and the drama of building your own machine, testing and racing is much more impressive to the actual motorcyclist. Just holding on to a bike doesn't get me excited. After suffering through the "Mild Ones" and "Chasing Shadows",it would be nice to see a good documentary on a Vincent. Cheers, Dan

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dave's story is the best. He still rides and the drama of building your own machine, testing and racing is much more impressive to the actual motorcyclist. Just holding on to a bike doesn't get me excited. After suffering through the "Mild Ones" and "Chasing Shadows",it would be nice to see a good documentary on a Vincent. Cheers, Dan
I don't disagree at all. I should like to see a good documentary on the Vincent. However both my wife and I are professionally involved in this area and have experience of how producers think. They are in business to make money. Docs (and features) cost a lot to make and to get a decent return they must ensure the widest audience possible, i.e. the general public and not just motorcycle enthusiasts. They are not interested in technical details. They want a hook to hang it on (the iconic picture), human interest, i.e. personalities, and then some celeb to narrate it. Who remembers the 'Power And The Glory' ruined by some ghastly voiceover celeb who could not pronounce the 'aitch' in HRD? Beware the curse of Top Gear.

Bracker1

VOC Member
I will agree with Hugo. The general audience in the USA won't appreciate it. I noticed a new reality TV series dedicated to a motorcycle gang in Az. We glamourize and celebrate the thug criminal. It's not a story unless there are drugs, sex , and crime. Cheers, Dan

vibrac

VOC Member
The World's fastest Indian was given good cinema coverage in my area. It has also been screened a few times on mainstream TV. I have told many non motorcycling acquantancies about the film and it is amazing how many have seen it and enjoyed. I also know many disinterested "other halfs" that were dragged to the cinema to see it, and they too thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dont get me wrong I loved the film one of my 3 favorite films ever but a motorcycle film will never make it too many people in high places make sure of that what other Hopkins film can you think ogf that only ranked 150th in 2005 (boxofficemojo) and only made $18.3million against a production cost of $25.

vibrac

VOC Member
Silver dream racer ah, my old mate Roger Keen was the technical advisor and had one of his stink pot racing Yamahas in the foyer of the local Cinema when it was shown.

As for the censorship you wont notice it -its so subtle drip drip,change perceptions first,dont show motorcyclists as humans only outlaws, bike rebuilders as chopper freaks, If a personality appears who may interest the young in fast bikes and danger like Guy Martin quick turn him into a new Fred Dibna. And for heavens sake keep moto-GP mentions on a sports program to a minimum never ever mention the TT call it all motor sport and just talk about F1,lf a celebrity who is an avowed motorcyclist comes on top gear and gets top times in the "average car" make sure bike hater Jeremy keeps him quiet about his passion. slowly slowly change attitudes after all they waited till 90% wore crash helmets before they brought the law in.
No 1984 is not one of my 3 favorite films

b'knighted

VOC Member
"No 1984 is not one of my 3 favorite films "

Why not? - It is the only film I know with a fleet of enclosed Ds being ridden together. The rest of the film is not that good.