Where Are You Now? JCE 22

Rodders

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Had a visitor at the spares Co today asking if his fathers Rapide is still about.
I had the pleasure of owning this bike from March '64 'till December '67. My first Vin. only sold it because the bill from the solicitors came in when we bought our first house. I bought it from Keith Poppit in Bournemouth and sold it to Conways, my then wife cried when I arrived home on the bus! That Rap. introduced us to the VOC, The Surrey Section, Annual rallies, IOM and lots of friends, the last I heard of it was that it had gone to the USA, a grand old bike, I hope it has a good home.

opm33

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear club members

Thank you for your replies regarding my father's Rapide JCE 22. Most appreciated.

My mother and I lived in Dartford, Kent and she told me that the bike was sold to a policeman - who had great difficulty in starting it in our back garden. It's interesting that my father worked for a building company in Bournemouth - at that time. Was Mr Poppit a policeman?

I was born in 61 and it was decision for my parents to buy a car to replace the Rapide, so I reckon Mr Poppit had the bike from 61.

Simon, would you know where in the USA the bike is located or how I would be able to find its current owner please?

Best wishes

Richard Moakes

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Simon, would you know where in the USA the bike is located or how I would be able to find its current owner please?

Best wishes

Richard Moakes

Due to data protection I cannot give out names of current owners but what I can say is the last contact I had was in 2018 via a third party and the owner at the time was not a VOC member. I don't have the owners contact details but I will enquire and if I do make contact I will pass on your message and so they can contact you direct.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar - Vincent HRD Owners Club

opm33

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Due to data protection I cannot give out names of current owners but what I can say is the last contact I had was in 2018 via a third party and the owner at the time was not a VOC member. I don't have the owners contact details but I will enquire and if I do make contact I will pass on your message and so they can contact you direct.

Simon Dinsdale
Machine Registrar - Vincent HRD Owners Club

Dear Simon
Thank you for your reply, which I consider most kind.
The bike was extremely special to my parents and I have a small pile of documents and spares manuals which my father had to rebuild the bike. He was an engineer with a passion.
Had the bike been in the US for a long time?

Kindest regards

Richard Moakes

Get Outlook for Android

opm33

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had the pleasure of owning this bike from March '64 'till December '67. My first Vin. only sold it because the bill from the solicitors came in when we bought our first house. I bought it from Keith Poppit in Bournemouth and sold it to Conways, my then wife cried when I arrived home on the bus! That Rap. introduced us to the VOC, The Surrey Section, Annual rallies, IOM and lots of friends, the last I heard of it was that it had gone to the USA, a grand old bike, I hope it has a good home.

Thank you Rodders for your post and memory of JCE 22. My parents loved the bike too. It was my father's 2nd Vincent, he traded in his Comet and I think he bought the Rapids from Conway's. I know they had the bike when my mum was carrying me - so I've rode the bike, as an embryo My dad's decision to sell the bike I think was down to my arrival and him thinking in terms of a more 'sensible' means of transportation given the arrival of a family. It appears the bike had been sold more than once to pay a bill.

Thank you for your post

Kind regards

Richard M