Misc: Everything Else Jaeger Clock Mount for Comet C

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What does the back of your original clock look like?
The photo of the clock back in my post #10 above is of the original Smiths 8 day clock.
IMG_2742.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It does not look like the ones I have. What is inside the case?
I don't have any photos of the inside but when Russell Smalley was restoring it I saw the inside and the clock mechanism is a bit bigger diameter than yours with approx 3/16" clearance all round to the internal diameter of the 3" case where as your mechanism is a lot smaller than a 3" case. The mechanism mounts via 3 short columns (on a larger PDF than your mounting columns) and these columns connect to a large diameter wavey shaped thin plate which is just a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the case and which is pressed / shapped to absorb shocks and that plate centrally mounts to the case and so the mechanism doesn't connect direct to the case. There are no rubber mountings.

Russell had 3 in at the same time and one was off his own Rudge and the third was off a series A Rapide so these appear to be a pre war type so that may be why they are different.

I suspect your clock is a post war type. What type of Smiths logo is on the face?

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great look, exactly what i am looking for. Is this a genuine clock though? I would have no issues fitting a replica clock to my bike, i honestly wouldn't mind for me it has to be functional first, and look fairly good.

Simon, yours is a replica? Where did you buy it from?

Thanks for all the replies,

Steve.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Great look, exactly what i am looking for. Is this a genuine clock though? I would have no issues fitting a replica clock to my bike, i honestly wouldn't mind for me it has to be functional first, and look fairly good.

Simon, yours is a replica? Where did you buy it from?

Thanks for all the replies,

Steve.
Steve
With regard to the 4 photos in post #10 above, the first photo of a clock mounted to my series A is the replica I made myself nearly 10 years ago with modern battery powered quartz movement inside. The next 3 photos in the same post is of a clock on its own and not mounted to the bike is a pre war mechanical Smiths 8 day clock. I know the guy I got it off who restored it doesn't have any more for sale.

Simon

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My A twin has an original - but not from a Vincent. When the previous owner bought it (in the late 50's - early 60's) the clock was long gone, but he knew where there were a pair of Rudges, one of which had its original clock. He bought the Rudges, removed the clock and then sold the Rudges on. So there are two funny bits to this, The guy who ended up with the Rudges who I got to know years after this, remembers buying them and questioning where the clock was, as he had seen them with the original owner and remembered the clock. Dial up some 50 or 60 years later and I purchase a Rudge Uster, which came from the same area of the country, but no idea if it was That Rudge, but it has no clock, so not wanting to pay over the moon for a real one and too much on my plate to go about reconstructing one, I just got a replica one from David Woods. All modern inside and looks the part!.