Misc: Everything Else Jaeger Clock Mount for Comet C

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a JAEGER 8 day 31/2" clock, which i want to mount on my series C Comet. Mounting point will be opposite the 31/2" speedo of course. The only issue i have is the clock i have is clearly a car clock and not a motorcycle one. Now i have no issues fitting this, as i can mask up the light apertures (see pictures) and fashion a bracket to mount it. Reason i am posting this is i have looked as far as i can (i think) on the web, for a 'casing' for this clock, thereby covering up said gaps, and turning it into a bike one.

Does anyone know where i may be able to get one (and bracket) or indeed does anyone have one hanging in their shed they want to re-home?

Thanks in advance.

Steve. IMG_1924.jpgIMG_1925.jpgIMG_1923.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Steve
I looked at this years ago with a view to fitting an 8 day clock on my series A Comet and the conclusion I came to is the car mechanism will not fit inside a motorcycle speedo body which is smaller at 80mm (approx 3") in diameter. Also I have since been told by somebody who restores chronometric speedos and the sometimes 8 day clocks that the motorcycle mechanism is different to a car mechanism as in the bike one is built to a more rugged design to withstand shock and vibration from being mounted on the top of the forks.

Simon

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Hi Simon,

I did wonder about the vibration, I was wondering if i am making my own bracket i could rubber mount it?

Steve.

vibrac

VOC Member
1573475370862.png

suspended on a large o ring or rubber band is how the racing revcounters did it

Last edited by a moderator:

erik

VOC Member
This is not such a Thing like a Jaeger Instrument,but it is very cheap and you can do races against the time.Regards Erik

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Hi Simon,

I did wonder about the vibration, I was wondering if i am making my own bracket i could rubber mount it?

Steve.

Steve,

The correct bike clocks are a small movement with long posts that are sprung internally to dampen vibrations.
I believe the Velobanjo gent blog covers this in great detail. I found allot of information online when I made mine.

Best,

Eugene.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Steve, those car clocks look a bit heavy on a bike, and when the genuine article crops up from time to time, (no pun intended) they push up near to £1k, utter madness in my opinion, if you just want to tell the time when you are in the saddle, but you want it to look right you could do a lot worse than buy a battery operated replica, exact correct size, even comes with a replica winder knob (not functional) keeps perfect time, doesn't matter if it shakes itself to bits as it doesn't cost too much in the first place, when it stops working, change the battery, what is there not to like. Oh forgot to say, don't enter the bike into any concours competitions, they might just spot that it is a fake and you will not win a plastic trophy, ironic isn't it.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eugene is correct. For the original motorcycle 8 day clock the anti vibration mounting is not a part of the external mounting bracket, but is built into the inside mechanism of the clock itself.

The first photo is of a replica I made with an old 3" speedo body and modern quartz internals running off an AA battery which I placed inside the headlight shell and currently fitted to my bike.

The other 3 photos are of an original pre war motorcycle 8 day clock.

Attachments

• IMG_2598a.JPG
    IMG_2598a.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg