It's rumored......

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It's rumored the Philip Vincent changed the name of his company from HRD to Vincent after visiting the U.S. and finding people confused our favorite ride with those V twins manufactured in the Mid-West. Well that just might be a fact and not a slogan, to paraphrase the. Jerry Romano, a member of the Motor City Section of the VOC, bought a photo copy of the title he had to return to the Michigan Secretary of State for correction. Jerry recently acquired a 1949 HRD. When he filled out the application for title to put the bike in his name, under the heading of make Jerry wrote in HRD. Doing him a favor the Secretary of State spelled out the full name of the manufacturer for him....Har Davidson. Jerry says he was a little upset when he opened the title when it arrived at his house and he saw what they had done as it meant a trip back to the SOS office and explain their mistake to them and prove it was their fault. They did allow Jerry to make a copy of the incorrect title. Jerry allowed me to take photo of the title and share it on the forum as long as I promised to redact his address and the last four of the number. As you can see from the number I've left it is a definitely a HRD/Vincent number belonging to a Shadow.
Steven

redac title 1.jpg