Is Your Vehicle Still Off The Road?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just received a letter from the DVLA with the above heading. Why on earth do they send that when the target bike has been sitting snugly SORNED in the back of my garage since lockdown! should I be so surprised that the DVLA can waste tax payers money on such a mailing? evidently I am not the only one and I shall expect a few more!
I am more than ever convinced that the whole DVLA is a "job for the boys" and they just love to make work and get paid for it

vibrac

VOC Member
I have never done it , But if you don't tell them every year, Are you not fined ?.
Either a bike is taxed or its Sorned the only other often forgotten item is a bike that hasnt been taxed and its owner or address has not changed since SORN started ( was that 1995?), Soon after it started even the DVLA realised it was stupid to expect anyone to keep repeating SORN instruction every year although that unbelievably was their original intention.
Anyway to send a letter like the above to anyone who has already sorned a vehicle (the one in question was only sorned under a year ago) is to my mind a waste of public funds
Does this imply that the creaking DVLA computer system is incapable of running a sort of "not taxed,not sorned and used since 1995?",
Especially as anyone who cared about a stationary bike had changed the V65 to a red one after the DVLA 'lost' a big stack of blank blue ones

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Unless you have a Bike with no Flywheels and no number plate :D .

Last time I did the tax on one of my Bikes,
She said "How do you want to pay ! ", I said I don't !.

I took the renewal form for my Car the other day, Gave Her a cheque,
She thought it had gone up !,
But could not find how much, She looked at the form over and over,
Then just let me pay what it said on the form,
I think I will get a letter for the difference ?.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Bill, Do you not trust applying/paying for your road tax, or SORNing, for a vehicle online? The website is quite easy to use and if it is for a free road tax bike for instance there is no debit/credit card transaction.

Because our old bikes are free to tax, I tend to tax them even if they are temporarily off the road. They are insured, so why not?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know you are right Nulli, But I am rubbish with Computers,
There are so many Tricky people about, After our money,
I got tricked by someone who said they were Talk talk, My phone people,
Who I had tried to phone a bit earlier, Lucky I worked out it was a Scam,
The only money I lost was talking to the Fraud squad !, Only a £1 or so.
They tell us how much money is lost to these Bastards and yet still tell us to use Cards,
I don't get it.
As you say I keep my stuff Insured and taxed since the 1960 s.
I would love to do Ebay but don't trust it.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I tax all my 'Historic' bikes even the twin racer but this bike is not Historic for 2 more years which is why its waiting on SORN
I recovered a reg number from old county records for a bike that has been 30 odd years in my garage I applied for a log book and as soon as I got it I SORNED it even though i then stripped it and rebuilt it in that case I had no idea how long the rebuild would take and the insurance was just storage.
I hope to tax and insure it this year when its finished