Is my right foot too short?

pcavallo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hope it's not a stupid question, but: when I ride my Comet I have to move my right foot from the footrest to change gear, as just the outmost tip of my foot reaches the gearchange lever rubber and I have to "lift-up-the-foot-push-it-ahead-and-arrive-with-half-the-instep-under-the-rubber-to-lift-it-up". (or the contrary to push it down).

:confused:

Now, I wear shoes of the 10.5 size, my right foot with a shoe weared on has an overall length of nearly 13 inches: is it possible that the lever is SO long?

Definitely, could someone, please, tell me if a solution exists, e.g. a shorter lever or an advanced footrest, etc.?

Thank you Vincenteers!!! :)

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
the standard lever has a crank in it to shorten the length , thus helping operation . It is quite possible that you have a lever from another non -Vincent bike. You can of course move the footrest. The footrests are not of the same length either, Ken

Howard

VOC Member
You could try size 12 boots with cotton wool in the end. I have the same problem with my Comet, as Boggler says the lever should be cranked, mine is a straight one, it adds to the quirky charm. You can move the footrests closer to the lever, I don't know if that would help, it's no good for me I only take size 8.

H

ps You can try this, but I prefer quirky gear change to £111 out of my bank at the moment.:(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vincent-H...pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a2d5fc64d

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hope it's not a stupid question, but: when I ride my Comet I have to move my right foot from the footrest to change gear, as just the outmost tip of my foot reaches the gearchange lever rubber and I have to "lift-up-the-foot-push-it-ahead-and-arrive-with-half-the-instep-under-the-rubber-to-lift-it-up". (or the contrary to push it down).

:confused:

Now, I wear shoes of the 10.5 size, my right foot with a shoe weared on has an overall length of nearly 13 inches: is it possible that the lever is SO long?

Definitely, could someone, please, tell me if a solution exists, e.g. a shorter lever or an advanced footrest, etc.?

Thank you Vincenteers!!! :)
Move the footrest forward, relax the nut, and pivot it. Adjust the gearchange lever on its serrations, until you get what you need.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Hi all, at the Gosport meet Sunday every Comet-and there were several - had a different shape/style of lever. I considered mine to be correct and original coming with the 1950 bike having been a "mothballed" basket case untouched since mid 60's. However Clevtrev said it was almost correct and we saw there was another alloy one very close to original. With the difficult bends involved perhaps they were all slightly variable.

It is a short throw with the footrest vertical-7" centre to centre with 4.5" lever length again on centres.

It was a great meet and thanks to all concerned in the organisation especially the Appleton family. Superb day.