Is Loctite 638 a solution for a loose cam spindle that's seen good results ?

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just removed the spindles 'steady plate' and 'oh bother' the front cam spindle rotated and came out with the plate. The bore for the spindle and the spindle look great. I'd rather not dismantle the engine so I like the Loctite 638 idea, but I'd like to know people have good results with this fix.

Also should I tackle the other spindles for good measure at the same time ?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I tried loctite and hard chrome buildup and neither worked. I went to oversize spindles, heated up the case with the motor in place and bashed them in and it is still fine 25 years later. Look in 40 Years On and Another 10 Years for more advice. To be honest, I was probably lucky that the worn bores were in "good" shape. You may not be so lucky.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
one can also lift the cylinder, to releaf the presure on the casings, and after installation, fit again, i guess the spindle will be a better hold in the little bore.

vincent

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I tried loctite and hard chrome buildup and neither worked. I went to oversize spindles, heated up the case with the motor in place and bashed them in and it is still fine 25 years later. Look in 40 Years On and Another 10 Years for more advice. To be honest, I was probably lucky that the worn bores were in "good" shape. You may not be so lucky.

So Bruce -- how did the build up of hard chrome differ from an oversize spindle???

Std practice around here is to grind down the spindle a bit, biuld up with hard chrome, bake in the oven as soon as it's out of the plating tank, grind the working part back to std and the fixing part to the proper interference fit, heat the cases and put it back in. Only got about 80,000 miles on that fix.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Maybe it wasn't a thick enough layer. I can't remember the dimensions after 30 years.