Is it possible to fit an o-ring chain to an A Twin?

billirwinnz

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I see that the singles had 530 chains but the twins only 520 so I'm guessing that width is limited. Has anyone done it?

greg brillus

VOC Member
The chain will most likely hit the swing arm, that's why they used the narrower chain on the twins. Most "O" ring chains are wider than standard so a 520 O ring chain will be as wide as a normal 530. Cheaper to replace it periodically than go to a more expensive type anyway.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I put a 520 O ring on mine. Not a big issue for width. I have had rings made from SAE 8620 steel and case hardened .020 deep with a 2.500 bore in 18, 19, 21, and 22T. I can then take an original counter shaft sprocket and re ring the splined hub. Both my A twin and the TTR (and my post war bikes) have been done this way. There are some of these sprockets with a documented 20,000 miles on them. I think I could even put a big fat 530 O ring in there and not touch anything.

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Thanks Greg and Robert.
I used to adjust the 530 standard chain on my Prince every 200 miles and replace it at 4000. I converted to 520 o-ring and have only had to adjust it twice - at 10,000 and 20,000 - so I'm sold on o-ring. For racing obviously there's less drag on a standard chain and mileage is a non-issue.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Not really an answer to your question "can I fit an "O" ring chain to an "A" twin" but if you are planning on doing a lot of miles an alternative might be to fit an automatic chain oiler, e.g. Scottoiler.
I use a Scottoiler V system with ordinary engine oil on all my motorcycles. It is actuated by vacuum from the inlet tract and I get 10,000-20,000 miles from a chain on a "B" twin. There are various other auto oiler systems, some electrically operated and some semi-auto and much cheaper, e.g. the Loobman costs £23.00 inc P & P.
One of these systems is likely to be cheaper than new sprockets and an "O" ring chain and easier to fit.
Examples here: https://motoridersuniverse.com/news/1253536-automatic-chain-oilers.html

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I put a 520 O ring on mine. Not a big issue for width. I have had rings made from SAE 8620 steel and case hardened .020 deep with a 2.500 bore in 18, 19, 21, and 22T. I can then take an original counter shaft sprocket and re ring the splined hub. Both my A twin and the TTR (and my post war bikes) have been done this way. There are some of these sprockets with a documented 20,000 miles on them. I think I could even put a big fat 530 O ring in there and not touch anything.
Or make the ring up from Toolox 44 at 45HRc just normally workable on a lathe, is it available on the other side of the pond?

billirwinnz

VOC Member
My bike came with a chain oiler from new. They called it a crankcase breather. :)

Oil consumption is a gallon every 1600 miles and I think most of it is through the breathers.

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Bill, It might sound a bit bizarre, but have you tried putting the bike on the rear stand and fitting an old worn-out length of 530 chain to establish what/where clearance issues you might have? Some rag or maybe rubber wedged to one side - and then the other - against the sprockets will move the chain over each way while you rotate the rear wheel by hand....
Peter B

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Bill, It might sound a bit bizarre, but have you tried putting the bike on the rear stand and fitting an old worn-out length of 530 chain to establish what/where clearance issues you might have? Some rag or maybe rubber wedged to one side - and then the other - against the sprockets will move the chain over each way while you rotate the rear wheel by hand....
Peter B