Is it me

len.c

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A couple of days ago I pulled into a local petrol station ,(on my Comet) put the bike on it's stand, took off my goves dug out my wallet checked I had the funds to pay,placed them on the seat and put the fuel nozzle into the tank and waited,after a while I was approached by a very young male person who looked like he should still be attatched to his mothers breast, with the appropriate name tag I think it was Wayne or Shane , anyway he says to me ," I s'pose your wondering why the pump isn't working" ,Yes I replied, "yuo'll have to take your helmet off " says he ,Why ,says I ,"cos its Texaco rules " says he.So what if my religion forbids me to remove my headgear, says I, Its's cos you don't have a front number plate, and the CCTV can't identify you,says he ,Why dont' you fix a camera to show the rear of vehicles , says I, any way it would be much easier for a car to come in with a false number plate,fill up and drive off with or without a helmet. So then he fell back on the classic well it's a Health and Safety rule.So I had to point out it is safer to keep my helmet on when refuelling in case I were to be struck by debris from a falling satellite,so then the ultimatum,you've got no choice Helmet off or no petrol, By now i had become just a tad irritated by this annoying little oik, so dutifully suggseted that he insert the nozzle in the orifice where the sun never shines,and made my departure.Now I bet your thinking I bet the old fool ran out of fuel on his way home.So I ask you is it me?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
You are no alone! most of our locals operate the same way. If you approach the till with money in your hand , they are not smart enough to realise that you are not a robber!

Howard

VOC Member
Len,

I think we come from a more trusting era, before the nanny state.

My local supermarket checkout has to ask if I'm over 21 when I buy alcohol - I love the place - only place I buy booze. :)

H

Howard

VOC Member
Just a little story in a simillar(ish) vein.

When riding through France in the late 70s, (speaking virtually no French) we were running out of cash (no such thing as cards) and just before closing time, we spotted a bank. 4 of us on 2 bikes roared up to the front of the bank, leapt off, threw the bikes on stands and ran into the bank (honestly!!! Naive or what?) The girl behind the counter looked a little startled, and the look didn't get any better when we took off our helmets to reveal balaclavas .............. why she didn't press the alarm, I'll never know!

H

John Appleton

VOC Member
Speaking as somebody who has to deal with customers, I can't think of much that is more annoying than the ignorant person that stands before the counter and mumbles, sniffs, and is too pig ignorant to remove their crash helmet to aid conversation and allow use of a handkerchief. Use the manners you were taught years ago, and take your hats off!!!

Thats it.... Rant over. John.