Is it me

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know what you mean John, but there's a difference between going into a shop, putting your helmet and gloves on the counter, and having a sensible conversation with someone, and trying to balance helmet and gloves in one hand (you daren't leave them on the bike) while you try to retreive wallet from pocket/credit card from wallet with the other (there's nowhere in the filling station to put things down) then listening to the incomprehensible grunts of someone who thrusts a card reader in your general direction.

What happened to the nice man who came out in all weathers and put the petrol in for you? And he didn't grumble when he had to go back for 6d change! Oh dear, a song comes to mind "Am I getting old?......." anyone who answers "Yes" will get a slap with my bus pass!!

H

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Some filling stations do display a notice asking motorcyclists to remove their helmets so if you ignore it it's up to you. More irritating is if in front of you in the queue is some brat who can't make his mind about which kind of sweeties he wants mummy to buy for him or somebody who seems to be doing their weeks shopping. I appreciate that filling stations are out to sell as much as possible but wouldn't it be handy if they had two cashiers, one for fuel and one for everything else?

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
wear a turban or a burka and no-one will tell you to remove it - unless you are in France of course !!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Other that John Appleton's point of politeness and manners, which now I consider it is quite valid, I am rather confused about the obsession in the UK to remove one's helmet prior to making a purchase. Until recently I always paid cash for my fuel, always pumped first and paid after. I would wear my helmet into the store to pay for my purchase, it was a full face non-flip type. I never had a problem and I live just outside of Detroit, recently awarded the title of "Most Dangerous City in the U.S.A." by the FBI. Now becasue of the number of people who drive off without paying all fuel stops are pay first or pay with a card, but no one says I have to remove my helmet before pumping. I don't get it. I'm curious if anyone here has encountered difficulty because of their helmet.
Steven