Iridium spark plugs

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Len, I tried them a year or two ago,A bloke from AUS told us about them, They cost the earth and gave me a lot if pain, His type were much too hard for my twin, But as I have said befor, Not all Vins are the same, Mine has big cams,pistons and carbs, Good Luck Bill.

lenstevens

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bill.I tried them in one of my other bikes[non Vincent] and there was a big improvement,so i was wondering about fitting them in the Vin.Don,t know what grade though

lenstevens

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello vibrac, No one could accuse my bike of being standard.Its capable of reducing grown Vincent owners to tears.By the way i seem to have become a non member,having been a member on and off for 30 years its quite a surprise.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
As far as I can find-out iridium plugs are only available in grade 8 and above. As vins "only" use grade 5-6 you'll be lucky! Having said that, if anyone can find ngk bp6iridium, let me know where the tooth fairy lives.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Roy
Only available in extended nose.
BP6EIVX

I get them at my local motorcycle shop, unfortunately at nearly £10 each

Neil

bmetcalf

VOC Member

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
for the last couple years I have used NGK BPR6EIX 6637.

I pay about £4.77 from e-bay each, to get this price I bought 8 last month.

In my saved list at present 290367312275 5.95 plus 1.50 post
if you search the listings you can get them cheaper.

peter

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Len,
The claimed advantages for Iridium plugs are related to the properties of iridium. It is very resistant to corrosion in the combustion chamber environment so they can use a finer electrode point that will still last a long time. A thinner electrode point allows the spark to jump the gap more easily. The reviews of Iridium plugs are varied. Some people swear by them and others at them.;-)

If an NGK plug has an "R" in the part number it is a resistor plug. If you have a resistor plug fitted and you also have resistor plug caps you are probably giving the ignition system a harder time than necessary.

Was that your Vincent outfit at the Jack's Hill "Ton Up Day" last Sunday?