Iridium spark plugs

teunvandriel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For many years, 30.000 Mls, I use NGK Iridium plugs, B7EVX, front and rear with a standard Lucas mag, the bike starts every time at first kick, summer and winter, cold or warm and is very fast, sometimes 100 mph, 1 1/16 standard carbs, with my wife on the buddy.
Teun

lenstevens

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Eddy,Thats interesting,i .might give them a go.Yes we were at Ton up Day Towester [its only about 50 or 60 miles from home].Our Vin was parked up against the window.We had a great run down,Carole could,nt stop laughing, The ol" lady on the Silver Lady so to speak.We are friends of the organiser,s and support it every year.Regards Len

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Len,
It was a good day and nice to looking at bikes in the sunshine for a change.:D
We had a breakfast to The Super Sausage café south of Towcester. We called back in at Jack's Hill café on the way back up to Hinckley. There were four Vincent's in our party, a couple of other solo twins there, your Vincent outfit and I think there were a couple of Norvin solos too. Stevenage was quite well represented in front of the café.

Hello Eddy,Thats interesting,i .might give them a go.Yes we were at Ton up Day Towester [its only about 50 or 60 miles from home].Our Vin was parked up against the window.We had a great run down,Carole could,nt stop laughing, The ol" lady on the Silver Lady so to speak.We are friends of the organiser,s and support it every year.Regards Len

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Len,
Your question has been answered pretty fully already, but this info. sheet for plugs may be of general interest to you. I cannot recall where I got it but have found it to be very useful and it may save you having to spend money on a 'buy and try' method. ( I only found this sheet after trying various iridium R plugs that made for difficult starting with mag.ignition).
Col.
Spark Plugs:

NGK codes: B = Thread size 14 mm, P = projected nose, 7 = normal heat range, E = 19mm reach, I = Iridium, V = precious metal ( may be thin platinum tipped), X = series gap, S = copper core, R = resistor (neither resistor plugs nor resistor plug wire are recommended with any magneto).
Higher the number = colder the plug.
Plugs that have been used with success on Vincents include B7EV, B7EVX, BP7EV and B7ES. Also BR7EIX, BR8EIX (Iridium, although resistor).
NGK: B7ES = normal Vincent engine in good condition or B6ES = oily engine (hotter plug).
Champion Codes: R or Q = internal resistor (avoid), Y = extended nose (be careful not to hit piston), G = Gold Palladium, U = auxiliary spark gap (avoid)
Higher the number = hotter the plug.

Champion: N8Y = hotter plug for easier starting, but extended nose (check piston clearance) may be cooled by mixture. N4G or N5G also seem good spark plugs for a Vincent.
Some manufacturers numbering systems are opposite the other, for U.S. manufacturers (Champion, Autolite, Splitfire), the higher the number, the hotter the plug. For Japanese manufacturers (NGK, Denso), the higher the number, the colder the plug.
Bosch Spark Plugs:
W = (prefix)14mm diameter thread
M = (prefix) 18mm diameter thread
T1 = (suffix) Standard reach, thread 12.5mm long
T2 = (suffix) Long Reach, thread 18mm long
T11 = (suffix) 2 stroke plug
Heat range is from 95 to 370. Shown in the model numbers of the plugs. The lower numbers are hot plugs for low compression engines, the higher numbers are cold plugs for high compresion motors. For example, 260 heat rangeand above is intended for racing.
Denso equivalent for NGK B6ES is: W20ES-U ( noted in their lit as Non-resistor). The Platinum are W20EP-ZU. The Iridium are IW20.
KLG spark plugs:
F = standard reach (for iron heads)
FE = 3/4" reach and 14mm thread (for alloy heads)
M = 18mm thread
F = 14 mm thread
A = 7/16 reach
L = long reach
E = extra long reach (3/4")
S = short reach
The numbers that follow indicate the degree of resistance to heat. Thus a FE 80 plug is suitable for a hot motor, while an FE-50 is suitable for a cool running or older motor - as such a plug will resist the accumulation of soot and oil.. Higher number = colder plug. Lower number = hotter plug.

B

Bikersally

For many years, 30.000 Mls, I use NGK Iridium plugs, B7EVX, front and rear with a standard Lucas mag, the bike starts every time at first kick, summer and winter, cold or warm and is very fast, sometimes 100 mph, 1 1/16 standard carbs, with my wife on the buddy.
Teun

Excellent plugs, used them for 7 years now.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good info' from Piggywig, The only thing I would add, I am down to 5, My bikes are getting on a bit !! Am now trying NGK BP5E with a V groove, Good Luck Bill.